Week 6 Announcements

Fundamentals of Spatial Computing
Course website: http://www.mat.ucsb.edu/594cm/2010/index.html
angus

Week 6 Announcements

Post by angus » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:52 pm

Hi,

1) There is an NVidia "webinar" on OpenCL/CUDA on Monday, May 3rd at 9am. You can register for it here:
https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/380790659

If you miss it, don't worry, because Ben is going to explain OpenCL to us in class the following day.

2) Please have your presentation ready on the day you present! Also, please email me the link to your research project webpage by 11:59 pm on Thursday, May 6th at the very latest.

Here is the schedule for next week:

Tuesday:
Reza,
David,
Ben,
Danny

Thursday:
Ritesh,
Qian,
John,
Bryce

3) Basak Alper will visit us and give a short presentation about CHI2010 as well (either on Tues or Thurs).

4) The following week we'll learn about a new lighting model, about stereographic rendering, and about convex hulls and voronoi diagrams.

-Angus

angus

Re: Week 6 Announcements

Post by angus » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:37 pm

Hi class,

I've put the links to the Nvidia and ATI videos up on the website (under Week 5 links) as well as links to some of the demoscene websites. Almost all of the demoscene examples are windows executables, but many of them also let you download avi/mp4 files or link to youtube/vimeo as well.

I know that today's guest speaker was somewhat tangential to the task of learning graphics programming, but hopefully you found it useful, or at least informative. I'd appreciate your feedback about the guest speakers so I can plan for the rest of the course and/or future courses.

Also, I've solidified the schedule for the guest speakers for the coming weeks. They are:

Basak Alper - CHI 2010 overview
Charlie Roberts - Stereographic rendering
Greg Shear - GPU implementation of the Oren–Nayar reflectance model (a more realistic lighting model for certain kinds of natural surfaces)
Pablo Colapinto - Geometric Algebra
Brie Finegold - Topology

I'll try and convince Wesley Smith to come in and talk about his latest project and also Lance to talk about GLV as well, time permitting.

Also, I know that covering GLSL in two weeks is ambitious. I am available this week and Monday to help out with implementations of your research projects if you get stuck or have questions, etc. Please start on them early so that I can schedule time to discuss them with you over the weekend or on Monday.

-Angus