Programming Thoughts Posts

Amusesmile

Programming Thoughts Posts

Post by Amusesmile » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:06 pm

// I'm interested in getting a sense of what you already know and what you would like to know. Write a paragraph or so about what aspects of programming you are interested in learning. Are there phrases or concepts you have heard of but don't understand fully? Are there topics that I didn't mention during the first day of class that you would like to explore?

I find that while I've been exposed to quite a broad sample of different types of languages/environments, I've always taken a more spotty approach to programming- copy/paste type knowledge which allows me to get things working but also acts as a debilitating crutch in the long term. Throughout this course I'd like to start from the beginning, filling in my knowledge to the point that I'll actually understand what's going on as opposed to merely patching things together.

Specifics: worked with processing before, but my knowledge breaks down when classes/arrays start weaving together. SuperCollider is never something I could never entirely get my head around, but I've spent some time with it. I often use RTCmix which I think is based off of C/Lisp, but it's so streamlined for working with sound that it's not very difficult to untangle even in advanced sketches.

As far as non music/art-specific environments go, libraries are really important, but I've always been too impatient/frustrated to get them working, so it'd be cool to take a look at that.

tobiast

Re: Programming Thoughts Posts

Post by tobiast » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:13 am

I've been working with a few different programming languages but my main focus has been on C/C++ although I've also done a fair amount of programming in Objective-C/Cocoa. Mainly I use C for embedded applications like programming the CUI (Create USB Interface) and C++ for everything on a more powerful platform.

I'm interested in getting more structured with my programming and maybe pickup a few tricks here and there. I've used the OpenGL API quite a bit but I would like to get more familiar with GLSL. Interfacing to USB hardware and the generic HID protocol is also of great interest. All in all I'm hoping to get a refresh on many of the topics of programming.

f.myles

Post by f.myles » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:39 pm

Outside of MaxMsp, my programming knowledge is pretty basic having worked only with processing. Therefore, my interests are really in the fundamentals. I'm interested in developing good guidelines to program efficiently the methods behind why things work the way they do, the differences in languages and why certain ones are used rather than others.

Within my current limited scope I am interested in learning for to pull and parse internet data, connect to different types of interfaces, sending and receiving OSC and midi data, networking to other computers and GUI's.
Last edited by f.myles on Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Solen

Post by Solen » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:02 am

I have some experience with Java and Processing. This experience is limited to sketches, nothing large and complicated. I believe that I have a good understanding of the basic structure and mechanics of Java. What I need is to come up with an idea or tackle a problem and try to practice programming as much as I can, around that problem or idea.

My specific interest is interaction design and HCI. Areas of programming I would like to be introduced to and get deeper into would primarily be working with live audio/video or other types of sensory input, along with streaming media/data.

I am also interested in pulling/parsing data from the internet and working with it, like Myles. And I completely agree: “…interested in developing good guidelines to program efficiently the methods behind why things work the way they do, the differences in languages and why certain ones are used rather than others.”

james

Post by james » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:22 am

I began playing around with QBasic in elementary school and worked up to Visual Basic in high school. I did a minor in Computer Science at NYU, and most of my classes worked with Java, but I had some brief exposure to C and Assembly. I used to do a decent amount of web-design, so I've also played around with JavaScript.

Part of the reason I came to MAT was to brush up on a lot of these skills that I haven't used for years and actually get to a place where I can build simple functional applications and have sufficient knowledge to communicate with a professional programmer. I too am also interested in pulling/parsing data from the Internet... "data-mining" may be the correct term.