Working with Libraries

james

Working with Libraries

Post by james » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:05 pm

I'm trying to figure out how to work with audio libraries...

Where should the Processing libraries directory be? When I use an audio library, does it need to be in my github for the programs to work?

Thanks,

James

angus

Re: Working with Libraries

Post by angus » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:42 pm

Hi, if you are working directly in Processing and are using custom libraries (i.e., ones that are not included automatically in the Processing distribution) you will probably have to put your sketch in the default Processing sketch folder. On OSX this is in "~/Documents/Processing/". Beneath that directory you make a libraries folder, and install your library according to the normal Processing library instructions.

Minim (if this is sound library you are talking about) *does* come automatically with Processing, so you won't need to do anything special. You can assume that all Processing users have access to Minim automatically. So you don't need to check it in.

Often times a repo will have a README file which explains the install process. For example, your README might say, "to install this sketch, copy the specialSound library into ~/Documents/libraries/specialSound/ and place the sketch folder in ~/Documents/libraries".

Or it might say, "This project depends on the library specialGraphics, which you will need to install yourself before running the project sketch."

This is a good question, and we'll talk about it on Tuesday.

-Angus