Problem Set #3

mhetrick

Problem Set #3

Post by mhetrick » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:18 pm

Download:
git://github.com/mhetrick/MH-ProcessingGUI-201b.git

Write-Up:
1) I chose to use controlP5. The main drawing routine was one that I wrote about a week ago while exploring OOP, and I wanted to add a visual interface to it.

2) I made the dots their own separate class. I chose to do this as each object stores its own x and y variable, which would allow me to quickly implement an array of these dots.

3) The big slider on the bottom changes the number of dots in the drawing routine. 8 is optimum, but interesting forms can be achieved at almost all values.
The Redraw button activates the drawing routine.
"Colorful" enables a random color selection for the drawing.
"Smooth" turns on anti-aliasing. I highly recommend this.
The R G B text boxes accept number values to change the background color.
*There is no error-catching code here. Processing places values above 255 as 255, while the controlP5 library will throw an error message to the console if it receives a String instead of an int. However, the program does not crash under these circumstances.

angus

Re: Problem Set #3

Post by angus » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:45 pm

Hi, sorry if the assignment wasn't clear. The idea is to use the controlP5 library for GUI elements that control some aspect of a *second* Processing library of your choice. That is, to make an interface for Minim or GLGraphics or any one of the dozens of libraries found at http://processing.org/reference/libraries/.

-Angus

james

Post by james » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:59 pm

http://github.com/smee2001/JD-ProcessingGUI-201B/

Write-Up:
1) I chose to use the JMCVideo library, authored by none other than our esteemed instructor, Angus Forbes. My background is in film and TV production, so I was interested in exploring the technical and aesthetic considerations when building a simple video player.

2) The code relies upon the methods of various classes from both ControlP5 and JMCvideo (and a number of inherited methods from JMC). By relying upon these existing methods and doing some simple typecasting, I was able to integrate them quite nicely. For instance, by making the min and max values of my Slider equivalent to the min and max value of JMCvideo's PlaybackPercentage methods (0 and 1), I was able to easily create a progress bar with seeking functionality.

3) Beyond the Slider, I created a simple Play/Pause button, a Checkbox that activates and deactivates looping, and a TextField that allows the user to put a helpful label on top of the video as it plays.

mhetrick

Post by mhetrick » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:10 am

My bad. I uploaded a new version that includes Minim support.

New write-up:

Michael Hetrick - 'Dot Matrix'

1) I chose to use controlP5. The main drawing routine was one that I wrote about a week ago while exploring OOP, and I wanted to add a visual interface to it. I added Minim to play back dot points where x = time played and y = pitch.

2) I made the dots their own separate class. I chose to do this as each object stores its own x and y variable, which would allow me to quickly implement an array of these dots.

3) The big slider on the bottom changes the number of dots in the drawing routine. 8 is optimum, but interesting forms can be achieved at almost all values.
The Redraw button activates the drawing routine.
"Colorful" enables a random color selection for the drawing.
"Smooth" turns on anti-aliasing. I highly recommend this.
The R G B text boxes accept number values to change the background color.
*There is no error-catching code here. Processing places values above 255 as 255, while the controlP5 library will throw an error message to the console if it receives a String instead of an int. However, the program does not crash under these circumstances.
"Sound" enables sound.
"Soundlength" controls the amount of time to "play" the entire image (in seconds).

f.myles

Post by f.myles » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:34 am

git://github.com/fmyles/FM-ProcessingGUI-201B.git

Write-Up:

tobiast

Post by tobiast » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:18 pm

Download:
git://github.com/thyrrestrup/TT-ProcessingGUI-201B.git

Write-Up:
1) I chose to use the OpenGL library

2) I wrote a Particle class which is instantiated as many times as the requested number of particles. The class includes information about the particle e.g. the position, velocity, acceleration, mass.

3) The slider set the number of particles. The button resets the particles on the surface of a sphere. The checkbox turns color on/off. The textfield sets the color e.g. blue, red, green, yellow, pink, purple.