PROJECT 2: SPATIAL MAPPING

glegrady

PROJECT 2: SPATIAL MAPPING

Post by glegrady » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:56 pm

On Tuesday, Feb 8 I will discuss design issues dealing with the organization of space, its labeling, color coding, etc.

Please review the Javier demos, in particular the various options by which the data was spatially organized in the "treemaplibtest", and the two Kohonen codes from Godwin and JJGuy. You will be selecting one or two for your project.

Also begin to think about how the SPL data can be used, in particular combing the various metadata available:

. Interval: Timestamp (time book is checked out)
. Ordinal: Dewey numbers (order by sequence)
. Semantic: Words in titles or subjects
. Categorical: Itemtypes, Dewey/non-Dewey

Schedule:
. Tu Feb 8: lecture on organization of space, concept proposal
. Th Feb 10: Lab
. Tu Feb 15: Individual meetings, lab
. Th Feb 17: Presentation
George Legrady
legrady@mat.ucsb.edu

nichole

Re: PROJECT 2: SPATIAL MAPPING

Post by nichole » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:11 pm

====================================================
PROJECT 2 DESCRIPTION: Most Frequently Checked Out Items
====================================================

I plan to make a treemap that will show the most frequently checked out items in the database. To get this data, I queried the database, grouped my results by the title field and used COUNT() to get the number of rows for each unique title thus acquiring the number of times that particular item had been checked out.

I did this for each year so that I could either aggregate the data and display the top most frequently checked out items overall or show them by year instead. Each square of the treemap will correspond to one item and mousing over the square will display the item's title, the number of times it was checked out, etc. The size of the square will correspond to the number of checkouts for that item and its color will correspond to the item's Dewey category.

Depending on time constraints, I also plan to add functionality that will allow the user to exclude certain categories or item types (CD, DVD, etc). I have also been thinking about how to implement a Self-Organizing map that will take the items in the tree map and organize them according to number of checkouts, Dewey classification, and key subjects; however, I have not yet thought of a good way to represent the subjects numerically and so will continue focusing on the tree map for now.