Project 3: Assemblage + Research Project

glegrady

Project 3: Assemblage + Research Project

Post by glegrady » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:24 pm

This project consists of creating an image out of segments from other images. The goal is also to line things up in a form that is not rectangular, the final form of the image being an outcome of the parts. See last year's projects: http://www.mat.ucsb.edu/~g.legrady/acad ... index.html

OR, using an existing shape in an image that becomes the form into which you will assemble your image segments. The example for this is Baldessari's use of the snake as the form by which to line things up: http://www.mat.ucsb.edu/~g.legrady/rsc/bald/index.html or a student project from arts 102 a few years ago: http://www.mat.ucsb.edu/~g.legrady/acad ... stacio.jpg

This project is due Tuesday, February 8, 2011

RESEARCH PROJECT: Presentations on Tuesday, February 14, 2011
Please begin to plan your research presentation. The presentation will focus on either an artist who works with technology to create images, or else a group of artists who represent a new direction in technology and images. You can review the works featured in the course, and find someone to discuss in more detail, or find someone who fits the course direction but we have yet to discuss. Once you find someone, something of interest, contact me so that we can go over the details, and so that I will "sign off" on the choice.

Presentation format: a 10 minute presentation in PPT which should have a title page, with a brief description of the artist's work, then follow with possibly 10 images and briefly describe what they are. Your last slide should be a reference bibliography slide with links. Remind me to go over the PPT format in class.
George Legrady
legrady@mat.ucsb.edu

emilyrabinowitz

Re: Project 3: Assemblage + Research Project

Post by emilyrabinowitz » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:01 am

assemblage.gif
In this image, I impose objects with the shape of the object that encompasses it.

shaun

Post by shaun » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:57 am

The image I began with,
414366690_d3d3f54801_b.jpg
Then I added cars and buildings from different time periods (including the "future") until I reached a composite that, hopefully, is coherent. That is, one that looks closer to a scene than to a collage.

The image processing functions and techniques I used were as follows: Gaussian blur to mask high frequency edges; adjusting levels and lighting to make the different images match one another more closely; adding uniform noise to make blurs and other edits less obvious; using a layer mask filled with gradient to blend some edges in different layers by virtue of having decreasing alpha values; and paths (pen tool) to extract individual parts from images which I used in the composition (or magic wand when I was lazy).

Here are some of the images I used
12.jpg
base.jpg
c1518f782e_o.jpg
City.jpg
city1.jpg
lights_of_city_by_livzie.jpg
REAL.jpg
sunset.jpg
cpa.1.jpg

The final image,
a3_final.jpg
Larger,
a3_large.jpg
Last edited by shaun on Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

alanasg

Post by alanasg » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:41 am

assemblage-copy.jpg
For my image, I created a non-traditional form out of bits from various other images. I also played a little bit with opacity and a lot with layering, and my manner of aligning the images was somewhat random. My image has a total of around 45 layers.

kyle_gordon

Post by kyle_gordon » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:55 am

This image was originally for my 2nd project, but I redid it in order to create an image more fitting for the project goals.

My image consists of 6 original images all pertaining to themes of fictional horror or darkness (Jack Skeleton, Edward Scissor Hands, Salad Fingers, Invader Zim, Johnny the Homicidal Maniac, and Coraline). I ran with this theme because I have a particular fascination for dark cartoons or dark humor, so decided to create an image that combined all of these characters into one "dark" piece. I started by placing all the images on a blank canvas and set each of their opacities ranging from 50-90%, the 90% being Coraline since I enjoyed the picture's setting and wanted to use it as the backdrop for my image. I then went in and rearranged the pictures of Jack Skeleton, Salad Fingers, Edward Scissor Hands, Johnny the Homicidal Maniac, and Invader Zim, so that they created a new character that contained an element of each of these dark characters. I achieved this by feathering each image individually with the feathering eraser tool, which I prefer to use as it creates smooth edges and allow more blending when images are overlayed. At this point my image had a central overlapping character , but a lot of empty space since I erased each image down to a minor characteristic (ie. arm, mouth, etc). I then took my new character and duplicated it 10 times, while toggling with the levels, hue, and exposure of the Coraline picture. I then feathered the edges of each character so they overlapped more smoothly and free transformed a duplicate of the Coraline picture, which now was dark, purple, and feathered so only the evil tree and hill were visible with some stars. The image at this point had all the characteristics I wanted, dark, shades of colors related to darkness or evil, and a disturbing looking character. This was the result:
art102#2-1.jpg
Next I took my image of edward scissor hands, and inverted it while duplicating only the outline in order to create an overlay that has the features of Edward, but is filled with my previous image.
Project-3-0.jpg
I then duplicated the layer and free transformed it into the shape I wanted while feathering the edges with the eraser tool. This was the final product.
Paint-splat-design-(Final).jpg

*****I redid the project using methods of placing images, feathering them using the eraser tool, transforming them,and overlaying them. This was the result:
Art102-Project-3.jpg
Last edited by kyle_gordon on Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

jguzman02

Post by jguzman02 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:38 pm

For this project, I wanted to use a non-traditional shape to construct an image from several other pieces of images. I find the human anatomy to be interesting because it is something so familiar to us yet we rarely actually see it thus the human skeleton was my main inspiration. The tree is made of various skeletal parts such as the arms, legs, and ribs, as well as certain organs like the heart and fleshed arms. I played around a lot with the placement and layering to organize the shape. I also adjusted the brightness and hue/saturation levels to make some parts more appealing. The final image consists of about 30 layers.

Skeleton Tree:
skeletontree.jpg

cgowdey

Post by cgowdey » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:51 pm

Since my last project turned out to be more of an assemblage than purely a layering experiment, for this project I took many pictures of my living room during Bean Night, which is a weekly open mic night we host, and layered them all on top of each other systematically. I used my photoshop's version of the HDR tool to combine 5 images at a time and then placed each of those HDR images on top of each other with varying percentages of opacity and fill. There are about 48 images in there total.

bean-nightfinish.jpg

jlcanterbury

Post by jlcanterbury » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:50 pm

I wanted to create an image that combined normal elements in a somewhat abstract way. I wanted the image to be a visual play on what is normal, and decided to do this in a way that challenged the original size of the objects versus the size of them as represented in my final image. So I chose objects that were normally large, and made them small, or it could be seen as taking normally small objects and making them large. This image combines aspects of a normal city and places them on a hand.
city-in-hand.jpg

davidgordon

Post by davidgordon » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:55 pm

For this project I assembled a composition from images of architecture using Photoshop and HDR stitching software. I then "cut out" the frame for the image, allowing the angles and shapes of images to suggest the final outline.
Attachments
ArchitecturalForms-sm.jpg
Last edited by davidgordon on Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:17 am, edited 3 times in total.

leighdodson

Post by leighdodson » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:01 pm

For this assignment I wanted to add a bit of playfulness and humor to my assemblage. I took an old cartoon of Betty Boop and used this shape as a frame within which to assemble my collage. For the inside of the shape I copied different parts of old Mickey Mouse cartoons, using his shoes to create a sort of beard on Betty, and making sure to place his gloved hands over her feminine parts as a tribute to the sexuality of traditional Disney cartoons that was obliterated with censorship laws of the 1950s. I wanted to experiment with how far I could push the boundaries of recognitions by repeating and overlapping until the parts of the collage are no longer recognizable.
Attachments
bettyboop_2 copy.jpg