Project 5: Image Transition in Time

glegrady

Project 5: Image Transition in Time

Post by glegrady » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:09 pm

This project is to be completed as a video but produced in After Effects to benefit from all the transition functions such as the Photoshop blur, noise filters.

The goal is to review and consider the things learned in class having to do with noise, form, mashup of layers, assembly of image parts, what are new kinds of images, and then to create a visual work that brings in time.

Its great to have a concept, but then the material itself should lead you to new approaches. Be experimental...go crazy....and give yourselves the opportunity to learn through the doing!!

Your grading will be a result of the balance between the following:

Innovation: How unusual is the overall experience

Concept: Great to have an overall concept. Sometimes the visual experience itself is enough. Its a question of balance between idea and experience.

Technique: Show technical skills but stay away from "special effects" as they tend to be cheesy after a few views.

Aesthetics: This is a balance between perceptual experience and the rules of form, color, timing relationships.

Timing: Consider experimenting with timing, breaking rules of timing.
George Legrady
legrady@mat.ucsb.edu

rzant

Re: Project 5: Image Transition in Time

Post by rzant » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:29 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKlk2S7mq2U

For the last project, I wanted to talk about trying to control chaos and derive meaning from it. I picked all of my subject matter from videos that had accumulated on my computer throughout the years. I saw this as embodying a semi-chaotic quality, as I was unaware that these videos resided on my hard drive, but were inevitably a product of my unique Internet interests. I was then forced to try to make meaning out of their content, to manufacture a somewhat coherent sequence. This comments upon the fact that we are inclined to apply meaning to occurrences produced by an environment of chance. It seems a vital mechanism for human nature, but also a bit counterintuitive. My guiding principles in making this video hold that it's necessary to create meaning throughout the progression, via content, form, color, etc., while also acknowledging that chance had some role in choosing the subject matter.

(After Effects random motion expression - http://www.motionscript.com/mastering-e ... dom-1.html)
Last edited by rzant on Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jlcanterbury

Post by jlcanterbury » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:30 pm

I started off this project with the intention of doing a picture narrative based on memory and a linear progression through time. After failing with that idea, my project transitioned into a set of images that were connected in a purely visual way, but not in concept (like the memory project would have been). As this video transitions the images "morph" into related objects, which follow the same general form as the group of objects before it, this morphing changes the object into new set of objects and is based purely on how the objects form looks in the image.
This ended up relating a little bit back to my original idea with memory, since our brain sometimes makes connections in our memory in an interesting way, where sometimes one memory will trigger you remembering a completely unrelated thing.
102final.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tog7Nozjk6Y
Last edited by jlcanterbury on Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alanasg

Post by alanasg » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:43 pm

For my final project, Memorials, I laid out a sequence of images that I took for a photo project a couple years ago, and set them to time. The photos were comprised of shots of roads and areas of land that some sort of accident took place, in addition to photos of the memorials found for those who lost their lives at those particular locations. I wanted the gap in time between the shown images of the roadsides and the memorials to produce questions in the viewer's mind about the relationship between the two images.
I started the sequence with the same image that I finished the sequence with, and throughout the movie you will find repeated patterns that I hope would communicate some sort of a cycle--perhaps reflected of the cycles of life and death.
I also wanted the length of the movie, in addition to the time that the single images were flashed on the screen (which only appear for a matter of seconds at a time) to reflect the idea of an almost instantaneous loss of life.
Screen shot 2011-03-16 at 4.40.26 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-03-16 at 4.40.53 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-03-16 at 4.41.14 PM.png
view movie on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=591aRPGPeXw
(quality on youtube is considerably less than what was saved onto the computer)

cgowdey

Post by cgowdey » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:23 pm

Moving Objects with Various Alterations

For my project, I wanted to establish a relationship in time by use of two very different elements: rewinding footage of the movie Labyrinth and images of old photos that I found on the walls of one of the conference rooms in the Hub. While extremely different aesthetically, both subjects deal with the idea of time itself; the 1930s-style bathing suit images from the hub that I chose to incorporate into my project are only a few of the dozens of photos from Santa Barbara's past (ranging from the 1920s - '70s) that are hanging in the building, and Labyrinth's themes are focused around manipulation of time, and time's paradoxical meaninglessness and urgency. So when I was experimenting with after effects, I wanted to somehow abstractly narrate sequences that played around with time; I used footage of the movie going backwards in time, cut it up, and put it back in sequence, except in its process of becoming still footage, it lost frames and therefore was slowed down. Some parts of the video are slow, some are fast, some are unrecognizable, some become waves in time, or ripples in time. All in all, I just messed around with after effects for hours upon hours, manipulating time, as it were. :)

The music in the video is a song that I recorded a few months ago by blowing and singing/humming directly into a harmonica and then recording multiple tracks of various harmonica jinglings.

I couldn't upload it - it's like 4 GB .. but here are a bunch of screen shots. :)
Screen shot 2011-03-16 at 7.01.36 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-03-16 at 7.01.59 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-03-16 at 7.02.16 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-03-16 at 7.02.44 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-03-16 at 7.02.49 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-03-16 at 7.03.00 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-03-16 at 7.03.13 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-03-16 at 7.03.47 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-03-16 at 7.03.19 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-03-16 at 7.04.05 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-03-16 at 7.04.53 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-03-16 at 7.05.02 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-03-16 at 7.05.58 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-03-16 at 7.06.28 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-03-16 at 7.06.39 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-03-16 at 7.06.45 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-03-16 at 7.06.53 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-03-16 at 7.07.06 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-03-16 at 7.07.29 PM.png
Attachments
Screen shot 2011-03-16 at 7.02.23 PM.png

ariel

Post by ariel » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:15 pm

For this project I used iconic images of New York City. Some of the images were more identifiable then others to the viewer. I used some close up images which were not as recognizable however I followed up with more images that were widely know to be places in New York City. I also began with the close up images and zoomed out and then back in. As I transitioned from each image I tried to place similar color images together. I also used different effects on each image. Some had blur and noise which we had learned about earlier in the class while other parts had effects such as distort.
You can view the project on You Tube at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkdok_-iIBc

I made another video that consisted of one image. I used different effects on this one image with noise and blur and cut it apart to make you focus on specific parts of the image. I still used an image of New York City, however I used one that had many aspects to it that would need more attention given to the one image.
The youtube link is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3abl3UbC8KY
Last edited by ariel on Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

davidgordon

Post by davidgordon » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:00 am

I wanted to create a maximum amount of visual information from a small number of images using After Effects' layering and blending techniques. I began with twelve photographs of the abstract surface of a red painted metal bench. I then sequenced these images into several "compositions", using different permutations of the image set, adding smooth transitions between the images. Finally, I layered these compositions several times, rotating each at different speeds and using different blending methods. The result essentially treats each frame as a separate "painting," similar to the work of Stan Brakhage. I then added a soundtrack of my own electronic music.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYYg2cSDoL0

jguzman02

Post by jguzman02 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:52 am

Nature's Hidden Surprise

For my project, I decided to work with the layering effect again. I wanted to show a transition of changes in time. My original concept for this project, was a narrative about people watching nature change overtime. Nature is an interesting thing in that it is something familiar, but does things unexpected sometimes. I used the effects that adobe after effects offers to express the unexpected occurrences in nature. Also, I think that a lot of the world has gotten lost in technology. With this in mind, I thought it would be interesting to do a project about nature using technology. This was my original idea. I would have liked to add music, but was unable to find an appropriate song.
infrared_pink_sillystring_tree_by_la_vita_a_bella-d30nght-1.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ2LVdb8hOk
Last edited by jguzman02 on Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kyle_gordon

Post by kyle_gordon » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:32 pm

Evolution?

By Kyle Gordon

My project aims at exploring evolution for the beginning of time but contrasts it with the religious view on evolution and how man came to be. To do this I used images of the evolutionary process along with images of Adam and Eve inserted in between, created complex transitions between the evolutionary steps and different portrayals of the first human beings. After the evolutionary step ends the sequence moves into present issues between science/ Darwin (evolution) and religion. These images present the ultimate end question of which side the viewer takes, creating a complete image sequence that questions religion and the theory of evolution.
screen-capture.png
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZLnIWyc4ic