Transforming Data: Cultural Strategies in DataMining
Instructor: George Legrady
glegrady

10.5 MySQL Project & Analysis, due Wed Oct 5

Post by glegrady » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:11 am

Post here your MySQL Data Mining Project which should include the following:

. A brief description of your approach for digging through the data
. What you have found
. Provide MySQL command and a sample of results (not too long)
. Then an analysis/report of the process reflecting on any aspect of your experience, using the MySQL, cultural evaluation, and potential future directions

The project is due on October 3 for discussion in class to be filed here at the latest October 5.
Last edited by glegrady on Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
George Legrady
legrady@mat.ucsb.edu

keats047

Re: 3. Wk 4. MySQL Project & Analysis, due Wed Oct 5

Post by keats047 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:13 am

My SQL query :
SELECT DATE_FORMAT(ckoutdatetime, '%Y-%m-%d'), count(barcode) FROM transactionsall
WHERE title LIKE '%epilepsy%' OR subject1 LIKE '%epilepsy%'
OR title LIKE '%seizure%' OR subject1 LIKE '%seizure%'
GROUP BY DATE_FORMAT(ckoutdatetime, '%Y-%m-%d');

http://www.mediafire.com/?uk99k3tnrt49sa0

A more specific query on politics
select title , deweyClass, subject1, subject2 , callNumber, DATEDIFF(ckinDateTime, ckoutDateTime)
from transactions2009 where subject1 like '%politic%' and deweyClass > 900 and DATEDIFF(ckinDateTime, ckoutDateTime) < 2000
and DATEDIFF(ckinDateTime, ckoutDateTime) > 1 and callNumber like 'DVD%' order by title

How to look at dewey and congress call numbers:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... sification

Basic Amazon Search:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... corruption

MySQL useful function:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/ ... n_datediff

For Kosara's article, I take some offense to the "science of visualization" idea. Data itself is not scientific, nor even representative, and the same is true of visualization. What both intend is to represent, in abstract terms, how to create an ordering of elements from the way in which we present our own understanding of the world. Which is to say, bluntly, that data and the way it is visualized comes with an inherent bias towards the world itself. The data fights against the established, or seeks to reprocess the widely known.

In attempting to approach information, we ourselves open, sometimes very vulnerably, to exploitation at the hands of any given piece of information. Perhaps my problem with the idea of visualization as a science is that it gives it too much credence. Science strikes at us with the heart of the absolute idea, the technologically superior, indisputable masterpiece, that someday attacks us with Cthulu-like fervor. There's a lot about information that's broken, misplaced, misrepresented, or outright disturbed. The problem is not particular, it is endemic to a society that thrives on information, and it is a problem that we have ingrained even into academia. That the science is superior.

So I suppose I will object to this notion, and attempt to find the beautiful in the science, the aesthetic out of place, and out of the body of information which gives and takes unequally. Perhaps I will attempt to approach the schism that exists between technology and beauty, between code and meaning. The language of the beautiful is not a match for the language of code, and yet it is perhaps of utmost importance that we understand this today more than ever before.
Last edited by keats047 on Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

bowea324

Post by bowea324 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:13 am

Andrew Jay Bowe
Visual Systems

The Tortoise and the Hare: Brainstorm an Ontological/Virtual Mapping Project

The intention of this data-experiment has been to inquire on the subject of patterns within the time span of check out and check in dates. This experiment not only seeks to look for a quantitative pattern or potential differences between genre types and check out length and the speed of movement, but also hopes to suggest more of an ontological difference the movement of literature that cannot be suggested by library databases. Though the role of most data might be first and foremost to discover a pattern of interest, this project operates with deconstructing the use of data, assessing the limits of data, and then providing a way to map the movement of literature.

Rather than looking specifically at key sets of books, I will look at the differences between two books within a single genre, Juvenile Children's Literature, and attempt to unravel the utility of my search as an ontological history of the single book(s). The goal, as noted is not to foreshadow the patterns of results, which at times are predictable, but rather look at the simplified data and attempt to discover ways to ontologically situate a book throughout time.

This research not only hopes to recognize patterns in the flow of the literature, but also hopes to look at some of the scientific and data bias' that may result in a data that has been simplified in library databases, a database that is disconnected with historical conditions and demographic issues.

Within the course of this research I took two works of Children's Science Literature, to study the speed of the 'Tortoise and the Hare'.

For this study I used the code:

Select * from transactions2006
where title like ‘Rabbits’

where title like ‘Turtles’

In order to find a work of literature in the children's database. And I used the code:

where title like ‘Turtles’
and barcode like ‘0010038881313’

And then

where title like ‘Rabbits’
and barcode like ‘001003581861’

[Books found:

TURTLES

J597.92 BASKIN 1996

Turtles, Juvenile Literature

RABBITS

callNumber

J636.9322 HINDS 1999

Rabbits, Juvenile Literature]

in order to trace the history of that book for the calendar year of 2006.

I discovered that by comparing the results. In this case, that the randomly traced item 'Turtles' and 'Rabbits', the book on 'Turtles' moved out of the library more through the calendar year. Assuming that the library patrons were different, I also drew the conclusion that this book was more popular, and thus had more virtual-geographic movement throughout the calendar year. This data shows, not only that the book Turtle moved at a more rapid speed throughout the calendar year, but also that the book covered a longer terrain.

The following MySQL sequences have produced these results:

Hare and Tortoise:

TURTLES:

2006-02-06 16:18:00 2006-02-17 16:14:00 ncnf jcbk 0010038881313 Turtles J597.92 BASKIN- 1996 597.92 Turtles Endangered species Turtles Juvenile literature Endangered species Juvenile literature NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL
2006-04-15 14:35:00 2006-04-27 19:37:00 ncnf jcbk 0010038881313 Turtles J597.92 BASKIN- 1996 597.92 Turtles Endangered species Turtles Juvenile literature Endangered species Juvenile literature NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL
2006-05-16 17:48:00 2006-05-26 16:54:00 ncnf jcbk 0010038881313 Turtles J597.92 BASKIN- 1996 597.92 Turtles Endangered species Turtles Juvenile literature Endangered species Juvenile literature NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL
2006-06-23 11:16:00 2006-07-12 17:16:00 ncnf jcbk 0010038881313 Turtles J597.92 BASKIN- 1996 597.92 Turtles Endangered species Turtles Juvenile literature Endangered species Juvenile literature NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL
2006-07-17 15:49:00 2006-08-03 12:28:00 ncnf jcbk 0010038881313 Turtles J597.92 BASKIN- 1996 597.92 Turtles Endangered species Turtles Juvenile literature Endangered species Juvenile literature NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL

Here we can see that the title 'Turtles'

Map this data to show the movement of the single book and compare these results to

Rabbits:

select * from transactions2006
where title like 'Rabbits'
and barcode like '0010035381861'

2005-11-23 12:57:00 2006-01-27 00:00:00 ncnf jcbk 0010035381861 Rabbits J636.9322 HINDS 1999 636.9322 Rabbits Rabbits Juvenile literature NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL
2005-11-23 12:57:00 2006-02-08 17:57:00 ncnf jcbk 0010035381861 Rabbits J636.9322 HINDS 1999 636.9322 Rabbits Rabbits Juvenile literature NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL
2006-04-07 14:55:00 2006-04-14 14:06:00 ncnf jcbk 0010035381861 Rabbits J636.9322 HINDS 1999 636.9322 Rabbits Rabbits Juvenile literature NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL

While the limited data sets may provide a resource in developing an understand of the flow of information, this data operates within a terrain that moves information into a hyper-rationality form of existence. One might map this data and show that key works of literature are moving at differing rates, yet the data does not analyze the bias of real space, i.e. the spacial location of the library, the role of researchers in the area, and etcetera. The conditions of pulling significant information of the flow of information, from the catalog is limited to an extreme degree, one might have to develop a comparative data base sample in order to elaborate and utilize this data to further draw conclusions about the significance

putzb642

Post by putzb642 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:14 am

Visualization is Not a Hard Science

I agree with Kosara on the fact that much of visualization today consists of the production of image through data. After all that is what any visualization is be it a script, thought, numbers, we are taking artifacts in the world and the mind and breathing life to them in a way that other may not have seen. When he mentions how visualization almost always requires interaction I found myself in disagreement. While considering myself a creative technologist and an interaction designer I have a love for anything involving great interaction and good UX. But I understand that it is possible to have a great visualization with no need at all for any interaction at all. For example, there are a variety of info graphics that can be found at http://dailyinfographic.com/. Back to the task at hand though, I agree as well with the idea that there needs to be many facets among the visualization community in regard to their "scientific" purpose. Each area can be tackled in different ways and utilize different strategies in order to convey a proper and thoughtful meaning.

**Update**

Moving away from the idea of correlating dead musicians with their music, I am going to explore the correlation between communication methods starting from 2005 to present day. I foresee this as having a rise over the past 6 years since so many networked tools are being used as new modes of communication. I will also be seeing whether or not there have been any sort of difference in the way anonymous communication has changed in that same time frame. To begin, it will be surrounding the rise of the utilization of "social" tools for this. This is in response to the idea of my thesis which surround the idea of developing tools for cross community engagement through anonymous means. SQL queries soon to follow.

Question: I wanted to explore the rise in the check outs of literature involving Communication and how over time that may have rose and/or fallen due to its ubiquity in our everyday lives.

Query (I have searched transactions2005-2010):

select month(ckoutDateTime), count(*) from transactions2010 where title like '%communication%' group by month(ckoutDateTime) order by month(ckoutDateTime)

Process:

I decided to start with searching for books with subjects involving ‘Communication’ and try and track down whether or not there was an increase over time in literature like this.

Results:

From the previous results involving facebook it was difficult to narrow down anything or see something interesting. So once it was broken down it was clear that there was a clear distinction that as the years went on, there has been a rise in materials checked out with the subject matter involving 'Communication'. This could have something to do with the rise in modes of communication that have risen since 2005 or it could an anomaly. Either way the results for these searches were far more interesting than anything previous.

The updated sketch will need to be scanned and uploaded.
Last edited by putzb642 on Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.

rileb685

Post by rileb685 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:56 am

When playing around with Google ngrams, I decided to see if there were any notable trends over time in how historical figures are perceived. At one point, I plugged in the names of Roman Emperors of the Julio-Claudian dynasty: the immediate successsors of Augustus Caesar: Tiberius, Caligula, Claudius, and Nero.

http://ngrams.googlelabs.com/ngrams/gra ... moothing=3

Overall, while there are some noticeable trends in the interest in these emperors as a whole— the peak in the 1930s when I, Cluadius was published, for example— there's very little to distinguish one emperor from another for most of the graph. I did notice, however, that there was a marked incerase in interest in Nero relative to his imperial peers roughly correlating to the years of the Bush administration.

Was this merely a coincidence, or did the political atmosphere stimulate interest in Nero? I deciced to see if I could examine this trend in greater detail on the SPL database. Was there a year that interest in Nero peaked? Did interest drop off after Bush left office?

After determining that the best way to find books about Nero, rather than simply containing the word Nero, would be to search the subject1 field, I used this query:
select * from transactionsYYYY where subject1 like '%nero emperor%';

And obtained the data below:

title subject1 subject2 subject3
Nero the end of a dynasty Nero Emperor of Rome 37 68 Emperors Rome Biography Rome History Nero 54 68
incoronazione di Poppea Poppaea Sabina Empress consort of Nero Emperor of Rome d 65 Drama NULL NULL
Nero Nero Emperor of Rome 37 68 Emperors Rome Biography Rome History Nero 54 68
life and principate of the Emperor Nero Nero Emperor of Rome 37 68 Rome History Nero 54 68 NULL
Nero the man and the legend Nero Emperor of Rome 37 68 Emperors Rome Biography NULL
Nero the end of a dynasty Nero Emperor of Rome 37 68 Emperors Rome Biography Rome History Nero 54 68
life and principate of the Emperor Nero Nero Emperor of Rome 37 68 Rome History Nero 54 68 NULL
Nero the man and the legend Nero Emperor of Rome 37 68 Emperors Rome Biography NULL
incoronazione di Poppea Poppaea Sabina Empress consort of Nero Emperor of Rome d 65 Drama NULL NULL

title subject1 subject2 subject3 subject4
Nero the end of a dynasty Nero Emperor of Rome 37 68 Emperors Rome Biography Rome History Nero 54 68 NULL
Nero the end of a dynasty Nero Emperor of Rome 37 68 Emperors Rome Biography Rome History Nero 54 68 NULL
Nero Nero Emperor of Rome 37 68 Emperors Rome Biography Rome History Nero 54 68 NULL
Nero Nero Emperor of Rome 37 68 Emperors Rome Biography Rome History Nero 54 68 NULL
incoronazione di Poppea Poppaea Sabina Empress consort of Nero Emperor of Rome d 65 Drama NULL NULL NULL
life and principate of the Emperor Nero Nero Emperor of Rome 37 68 Rome History Nero 54 68 NULL NULL
incoronazione di Poppea Poppaea Sabina Empress consort of Nero Emperor of Rome d 65 Drama NULL NULL NULL
conspiracy a novel Nero Emperor of Rome 37 68 Fiction NULL NULL NULL
conspiracy a novel Nero Emperor of Rome 37 68 Fiction NULL NULL NULL

2007:
conspiracy a novel Nero Emperor of Rome 37 68 Fiction NULL NULL

2008:

2009:

2010:
great fire of Rome the fall of the emperor Nero and his city Nero Emperor of Rome 37 68 Rome History Nero 54 68 Great Fire Rome Italy 64
great fire of Rome the fall of the emperor Nero and his city Nero Emperor of Rome 37 68 Rome History Nero 54 68 Great Fire Rome Italy 64

While 2008, a year in which everyone was distracted by the election and feeling hopeful about things, did see a marked decline in interest in Nero, it quickly bounced back, and as far as I can tell, the pattern I saw in the Google Ngram is not reflected in the data I obtained from SPL. I did see some patterns, though-- it turns out that the biggest factor in high numbers of Nero-related withdrawals is simply if anything about Nero had been released differently. 2004 saw the release of a new DVD of the opera Incoronazione di Poppea, which carried over into 2005 and 2006. 2010 saw the release of a very well-regarded book on Nero, The Great Fire of Rome: The Fall of the Emperor Nero and His City, which was then withdrawn by many readers over the course of the year.
Last edited by rileb685 on Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

deklerk

Post by deklerk » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:40 pm

Journal Article Review

The article, “Implied Dynamics in Information Visualization” by Caroline Ziemkiewicz and Robert Korasa, proposes a theoretical framework to explain the influence of design choices on the interpretation and use of information visualization systems. The authors argue that there are passive and active meanings transmitted by the “visual dynamics” of visualizations. By this, I believe they mean to refer to the spaces in between sites of denoted meaning, e.g. the line moving from one defined point to the next implies a trend where a bar chart would not. Thus the type of chart dictates influence over the type of the data, the authors argue. Indeed, “people reason with visual representation in part by viewing them as dynamic physical scenes and simulating the forces acting on them.” Essentially this is a view of data visualization based on the idea of affordance - where the object bares meaning in its potential to support agency.

What the authors will have us do as designers is to consider the possible cognitive steps a user of the data visualization might generate in their mind such as completions or motions. These “implied dynamics” are given an operating condition by the properties of any given chart type, but also of the selection of the chart type itself.

As a whole, I agree with and have learned from Kosara and Zimkiewicz definition and evaluation of “implied dynamics” and intrigued by the method and design of such a scientific study of design - something I have not read before. One observation that I would make is on the generic definition of a business in the test. If the interpretation of visual information is guided by its affordances - the perceived value for action, then I would think the kinds of actions the chart is meant to help facilitate will vary interpretations greatly by organization or even office. I would be interested in seeing the same test done with clearer definitions the actions the graph is mean to support.
-----
Christo

alessandrarosecampos

Post by alessandrarosecampos » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:37 pm

I started my Data Mining assignment by doing a general search of the items that were checked out around the time of Hurricane Katrina. I started off by searching within the dates from 08/27/2005 to 09/27/2005, but later expanded my search from 08/01/2005 to 10/01/2005 once I narrowed my topic. During my original search, I found that there were several books dealing with the story of Noah’s ark around the time of Hurricane Katrina. My question then became, was there a rise in interest in the story of Noah’s flood during the time in Hurricane Katrina? More generally, my question would be, what sort of associations do people make at times of large natural disasters (specifically, in this case, a flood causing hurricane)? At this point I expanded my search to include dates before the flood, to see if the amount of books concerning Noah’s ark were about the same before Katrina, and into October to see how quickly interest in the subject may have dropped off. I did a few different searches, such as:
select * from transactions2005
where title like '%noah%' and
ckoutDateTime > DATE('2005-08-01')
and ckinDateTime < DATE('2005-10-01')
and DeweyClass is not null
order by ckoutDateTime
The reason why I specified DeweyClass not null is that I found that DVD and VHS checkouts including a lot of material intended for children, that was likely not related to the hurricane (for example, Baby Einstein DVDs). Children’s literature related to Noah’s ark tended to appear at all times, despite the presence of absence of significant hurricane activity. I ordered by checkout date/time because I am primarily interested in the dates that the items were checked out and their proximity to Hurricane Katrina’s landfall.
After this, I searched for the same dates in 2006, and found that there was somewhat of a dropoff in adult books related to the story of Noah’s ark. Specifically, there was a book that showed up in the couple of weeks immediately following Hurricane Katrina that did not show up in subsequent years around the same time (in 2006 and 2007). The title of the book is “They Laughed at Noah: Preparing for Natural Disasters.” According to the Amazon.com blurb is a book meant to prepare people for natural disasters based on Noah’s actions during the flood. I did a count to see how many times this book was checked out using this command:
select title, count(*) from transactions2005
where title like '%natural disasters%' and
ckoutDateTime > DATE('2005-08-01')
and ckinDateTime < DATE('2005-10-01')
and DeweyClass is not null
order by ckoutDateTime

The result was only eight times within those two months, so I’m not sure much of a correlation can be found between Hurricane Katrina and Noah’s ark. However, this book was not checked out at all in the subsequent two years (at least not in the months surrounding the anniversary of Hurricane Katrina).

I additionally attempted to expand my search with commands such as:
where subject1 like '%noah%'
or title like '%noah%'
and ckoutDateTime > Date('2005-08-01')
and ckoutDateTime < Date('2005-10-01')
order by ckoutDateTime

and
select subject1, count(*) from transactions2005
or title like '%noah%'
and ckoutDateTime < Date('2005-10-01')
order by ckoutDateTime
(Result: Noah’s ark: 272)

but didn’t find that there was a significant difference in result. I think putting this data into Google correlate would greatly help in showing whether or not there was a significant spike in checkouts related to Noah’s ark during the period surrounding Hurricane Katrina’s landfall, but I’m still not quite clear on how to clean up the data in Excel so Google correlate can understand it.

I also encountered some issues when trying to expand my search with or commands. For some reason, the command would return dates outside of what I specified, such as with this command:
or title like '%noah%'
and ckinDateTime < Date('2005-10-01')
order by subject1

Overall, what I discovered is that there is nothing to discover. There doesn’t seem to be enough of a rise in interest in Noah’s ark around the time surrounding Hurricane Katrina to draw a significant conclusion.

I have uploaded Excel results of the commands listed here (except for the one that I had trouble with). I’ve pasted them all into one Excel file, so that data may not be too clean:

http://www.mediafire.com/?mqygbx6j7046uz8

deklerk

Post by deklerk » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:00 pm

So as to make it a little easier to read, I've posted my Data Mining Project document here and the sql results here.
-----
Christo

beth.c.carlson

Post by beth.c.carlson » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:17 am

QUESTION: Following the Deepwater Horizon oil spill in 2010, were more materials checked out relating to petroleum, marine life, the environment, etc? When a disaster such as this occurs, do people look to similar disasters from the past in order to understand?

QUERY: select * from transactions2010 where title like 'oil'
or title like 'marine'
or title like 'gulf'
or subject1 like 'environment'

select * from transactions2006 where title like 'oil'
or title like 'marine'
or title like 'gulf'

select * from transactions2007 where title like 'oil'
or title like 'marine'
or title like 'gulf'

select * from transactions2008 where title like 'oil'
or title like 'marine'
or title like 'gulf'

select * from transactions2009 where title like 'oil'
or title like 'marine'
or title like 'gulf'

PROCESSING TIME: Under 30 seconds each

REVIEW RESULTS: 239 items were checked out in 2010, while only 13 items were checked out in 2006. These figures support my hypothesis, until I ran queries for the years in between. 2007=744 items, 2008=633 items, and 2009=417.

ANALYSIS for follow-up action: Remove 'marine' from query in order to eliminate a irrelevant DVD from the results, and also exclude Upton Sinclair's novel Oil!, which shows up in the results from each year.

matthew

Data Mining a Financial Crisis

Post by matthew » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:46 pm

Data Mining project description and spreadsheet of mySQL results.