w03 Roland Barthes

mogle09

Re: w03 Roland Barthes

Post by mogle09 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:49 pm

Advertisement:
tamp.jpg
At first glance, it is not completely obvious what this advertisement is promoting. It is not until you read the bold faced type, across the entire picture that the viewer is able to understand. This advertisement is for Kotex Tampons. The advertisement is comprised of a background image of a convertible car driving down a desolate highway. The driver of the car has her hand raised in the air. There are also a couple of trees and street lights in the distance. In the foreground of this advertisement is bold text which states “I tied a tampon to my keyring so my brother wouldn’t take my car. It worked.” Then below the image and that text there is a black border with text that states “Why are 40% of people uncomfortable with tampons? Break the cycle: New U by Kotex Tampons, pads, and liners. For a free sample go to ubykotex.com.” Then beside that statement is an image of the packaged Kotex Tampons.
The linguistic message plays a large role in this advertisement. It provides the viewer with a better understanding to what exactly this advertisement is about. The bold text, plays off of the idea that many people, at least Americans, are uncomfortable with tampons. Without the comedic bold text, the image would not really make any sense. After reading the bold text it is understood that the drivers hand is up in the air in excitement. The bold text is supposed to serve as a joke, most people would not tie a tampon to their keys. But the fact that this person did, in order to get rid of her brother taking her car, is pretty funny. The text is white, which makes it easy to read, but the last line “it worked” changes to black. The change in text color puts emphasis on the last statement. Not only does this imply that putting the tampon on her key ring prevented her brother from driving her car, but it also implies that the product works.
The linguistic message at the bottom of the images is also extremely helpful. After the viewer reads the bold text and sees the image of the car, their eye is immediately led to the small type at the bottom. After reading the bold text, it is clear that whomever created this advertisement was hitting on this idea that tampons make people, men especially, uncomfortable. The advertisement provides a rhetorical question at the bottom with a statistic that 40% of people are uncomfortable with tampons. The product is then introduced. Both linguistic messages in the ad allow the viewer to understand what the advertisement is for.
This advertisement is comical, because tampons are not a product that people are comfortable discussing. If tampons did not make people uncomfortable, or were discussed more casually, this ad would not be as successful.
Their is a contrast of colors within the advertisement. Most of the colors in the image on the top are pretty soft earth tones. Whereas the colors in the image of the product are extremely bright. This contrast of colors puts emphasis on the product.
Although this advertisement literally denotes a car driving on a highway. The connoted message is that Kotex Tampons have the ability to free you. The image of a car on the open road implies the the tampons will make you feel free. The image connotes that driving and having the open road ahead of you creates a deeper feeling a in the viewer.

Personal Image:
IMG_2843.JPG
The personal image that I chose is a picture captured of my mom and I at the finish line of the Long Beach Half Marathon. The purpose of this image is much different then the purpose of the advertisement. This photo was taken by one of my family members in order to capture a memorable moment.
Although unintentional, there is a linguistic message in this image. The linguistic message in this photograph is the text on one of the workers t-shirts. He is in the bottom left corner of the image and his shirt reads “Race Team.” This text helps the viewer understand that this image is taken at some sort of race. Although it was unintentional, the message that says “Race Team” helps the viewer understand the context of the image, and the relationship between my mom and I. Although it might not be clear just by looking at the image that it is a picture of my mom and I, the text allows the viewer to understand that we are a team and ran the race together.
This image captures many people in one image. Some of the people in the image are racers, others are family members and friends of the racers, and others are volunteers helping put on the event. Unlike the rest of the people in the photograph, my mom and I are facing toward the photographer. My mom is pointing in an attempt to find our family on the sidelines. We are linking arms, and smiling in excitement.
Although this is a candid photo, we are unintentionally framed in the image. When the viewer first looks at the picture, there eye is drawn to the volunteer in the bottom left corner and then is led around my mom and I. The viewers eye is guided around us, due to the fact that many of the people are wearing blue. The bright blue t-shirts frame us. On the surface, this is just an image of people finishing a race. But if you look a little deeper it is clear that this is an extremely exciting moment. Although the denoted message is the finish line of a race, the coded iconic message that the image evokes is that a 13 mile run is easy and fulfilling when you have a partner to finish with.

tikamoini

Post by tikamoini » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:19 pm

I am constantly finding myself pervaded with advertisements that seem to contain massive disconnections between the literal image presented and the signified message it attempts to impose on its audience. Advertisements have become a coded scheme filled with signs and signifiers that push us towards understanding and perceiving the advertisement in a manner that we normally and naturally would not decipher them in. Here we have an advertisement for Zoloft, a medication commonly prescribed for the treatment of anxiety and depression.

Utilizing Roland Barthes three messages system of analysis, described in the article “Rhetoric of the Image”, we can see some different levels of signage that are at work in this advertisement. The linguistic message consists of a question to the viewer, “Dishes piling up in the sink?” and an answer, with an emphasis, “Zoloft”. This questions directly conversates the viewer and puts a literal, as well as a metaphorical, statement in his or her mind. This could literally mean to ask the viewer if either they actually have dishes pilling up in the sink that they have not yet washed or if they metaphorically have problems, concerns, work, or anything that is building up on them. This simple question could probably be answered by an emphatic YES by the majority of the U.S. population and such a time of stress, crisis, financial instability, overconsumption, and overabundance of things in general! It is invoking a widespread feeling of frustration and feeling overwhelmed by the incessant on-goings of our country and then claiming that a drug, which will in reality make us ignore our problems, is the way to fix our problems. The non-coded iconic message of this advertisement is a woman with a distressed look on her face, holding her head with her hand, as many of us do when we don’t know what to do about something. The background of the ad is a stark black, with large white writing, and a dark, quite contrasted image, creating a sense of drama. The coded iconic message is that this woman has a problem, is perhaps feeling overwhelmed, stressed out, and at a loss for what to do next. We are given no implication of what may be wrong with her, just the fact that there is something wrong with her (next to a caption of a generalized metaphorical statement for “is something wrong?”). This advertisement is attempting to facilitate this feeling of stress and image of something being wrong, then offers itself, Zoloft, as the answer to anything that may be wrong, such as a number of dishes are piled up in the sink and you don’t want to do them… so take Zoloft and forget about them.

Here is an interesting article written by The Onion disclosing some statements from the Pfizer president James Vernon, and which gives some insight into the motives of perpetuating such a campaign that prescribes and entitles “Zoloft for Everything”.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/pfizer ... paign,297/

Seems as if all they are after is their patients money and are indifferent to the fact that Zoloft seems to be increasing the distress, anxiety, and instability of their patients and at times creating these symptoms as wells as vicious alterations in behavior and personality.

Attached is a personal photo. There seems to be no real linguistic message and would most likely be generally interpreted as a family snapshot. The non-coded iconic message is that there are two young girls, who resemble each other, dressed with cat ears, whiskers, noses, and in black. One is smiling at the camera and the other slightly off to the side. Theres is a small child leaning out of his car seat dressed up as a cowboy. In the back there is a young man with a baseball hat smiling. They are all seen from the back right car door f a dark blue vehicle. We see parts of palm trees in the background. The coded iconic message is that it is perhaps Halloween, that the girls are dressed up as black cats, and that the young boy is dressed up as Woody from Toy Story.
Attachments
halloween10.jpg

baxterwfrick

Post by baxterwfrick » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:25 pm

Roland Barthes "Rhetoric of the Image" - Week 3

In Roland Barthes article, "Rhetoric of the Image," he explains the three way in which a viewer breaks down and dechiphers an image's: Linguitic meanings, non-coded and coded messages, and finally the overall rhetoric of an image.

The ad I chose to analyze is a 2010 Dodge Challenger ad. It depicts George Washington and infantry posed beside A Dodge Challenger.

In this ad there are two linguistical phrases: one in the lower left corner and the second in the lower right hand corner. The one on the left reads, "Dodge Challenger" and on the right, "This is the car you buy because you can't buy a bald eagle." These two linguistic messeges are used as anchorage to focus the viewers attention on what Dodge Inc. wants highlighted. Obviously "Dodge Challenger" is the name of the company and the brand of car. This helps the viewer know exactly what car is being photographed. The second phrase contains more depth in its message. "This is the car you buy because you can't buy a bald eagle" focuses the viewers attention to the overall theme of the ad, and helps decipher just what and who the objects in the image are.

Moving on to the coded message, the viewer is instantly drawn to the center of the image where a man of early Colonial days is standing in front of an obviously more contemporary car. The man is supposed to evoke that of George Washington the first U.S. President. This would not be identifable unless the viewer is comprehensive with American history. From this representation of George Washington one would associate pride, freedom, courage, masculinity, respect, and strength all characteristics the car company wants its car to be associated then with. A second signifier is the American Flag, the flag represents much of what George Washinton does, however it can also be interpreted to show that Dodge and its Challenger car is American madeas opposed to foreign. The infantry to the left could be interpreted with their guns to be "firepower" or to illustrate that the car is powerful. The car itself is a "muscle car," it is shown in all black, typically a male color, and while it is in the center of the image, it is the previously explained objects that make the car come to "life." Lastly, the color of the image in its faded nature give the tone of a different era setting the scene for all it encompasses.

Overall, the messege and "myth" this ad is trying to evoke is that the Dodge Challenger is America. Cars and American lifestyle have become one-in-the-same. It is "American" to own a car just as much as George Washington is "American" just as Bald Eagles are "American." So in essence Dodge wants the viewer of this ad to feel that if they own this car they are turely American and feel all the prideful and respected characteristics of George Washington and of the United States.

This is a photo taken at one of my high school soccer matches in 2007.

In this image there is only one linguistic messege and that is the word "Saugus" written across the chest of our jerseys. An understanding of sports and possibly soccer would be needed to determine that Saugus is the team me and my teammates played for. We played for Saugus High School. The words would then direct your attention anchor the image to that of a high school soccer match.

There are other signifiers in the image itself. The matching jerseys of me and the other boys indicate the concept of team. Also, by the shoes and equipment we are wearing, one could determine that we are playing the sport of soccer, indicated by cleats and shin guards (with high socks)and running on what looks to be grass or turf. Another signifier that could be spoted is the symbolic NIKE swoosh. This can have many meanings to a plethora of different people, but the comminality is that NIKE is a sports brand and company that deals in equipment, sponsorship, and noteriety. Based on the composition of me (center) and teammates close together and smiling, and hugging, with excitment and joy one could interpret that something good has just happened such as score a goal.

While, this picture is not meant to have any explicitly implied meaning, a viewer could take away a sense of comraderie between teammates, having fun, while playing the game of soccer.
Last edited by baxterwfrick on Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

karenyliu

Post by karenyliu » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:27 pm

In Barthes's article, he talks about how media using codification of images and words as signs to sell the idea of products. By having the images as signs, readers understand the image through the relationship of signifiers and the signified, and thus, the media successfully conveys the idea of advertisements to the customers.
1.jpg
SYSLEY AD
This advertisement photo I found online is a fashion ad by SISLEY. The photo has two beautiful, attractive women smoking the white dress as if they were on drug, which symbolized by the white dress. I found this ad disturbing but yet very interesting. They way SISLEY presents their clothing was rather very strong and impressive (although others may not feel the same way as I do). In this photo, one model is smoking on the dress as it's never enough while the other one looks up to the audience in a way that the readers could tell how unconscious she already gets. This photo tells how women can never get away from fashion and how addicted fashion is. Right next to the white dress, you see a black credit card lying over there (instead of in the purse or in their hands as if it were important). This tells that fashion is more important and attractive than money; when you have fashion handed, nothing else could drag away your attention anymore. SISLEY indeed did a impressive job on selling their clothing.
2.jpg
personal photo
The personal photo I chose was from one of my friend's photo. She stands in the right corner of this photo where was taken on a long road way that seems to connect to nowhere or to a completely different world as the road ends in a far point which reaches to the mountains and sky. Although the way she looks back is a bit upset and maybe sad, the mood of the bright color and the background (the sun, the clean road way and the beautiful clouds) all gives audience a feeling that she's heading to a brand new world and most likely to have a better life. I really like this photo because it brings hope when you feel worried about changing something significant in your life. This photo really reminds me the feeling when I first decided to move to the US: the beautiful, exciting but uncertain future verses the feeling of worried but expecting a better change for life. I thought this photo might as well be a good example of signs.

mel.weismann

Post by mel.weismann » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:47 pm

yamahalollipop.jpg
The 'Corporate World' image I selected is an advertisement for Yamaha certified used motorcycles. The most obvious level of meaning found here is the non-coded iconic layer: we see a photograph of a golden-yellow lollipop, which is moulded into the shape of a fairly-detailed motorcycle. At the bottom of the piece of candy, near the white stick it is attached to, are four places where it appears that moisture is dripping off of the candy, as though someone has licked it and then set it back down on a semi-metallic blue table.

On its own, this layer wouldn't be a particularly effective advertisement - what does a piece of candy have to do with buying a used motorcycle? Let's consider the next level of meaning - the linguistic layer. We have the text in the logo - "MultiCheck guaranteed used bikes by Yamaha". This tells us literally what the advertisement intends to sell, that is, used motorcycles. The more important text is at the bottom of the ad: "Don't take used stuff from strangers." When considered alongside the logo text, the message becomes something like "don't buy a used motorcycle from just anybody; instead purchase a Yamaha-guaranteed used motorcycle" (the strong linguistic layer could theoretically stand on its own as effective advertisement). One must know about the cultural connotations of the idea of 'stuff you get from strangers': in American society, we are taught to not trust strangers - maybe they want to help us, or maybe they want to harm us, but we can't know so we just avoid dealing with them until we have developed trust. Yamaha, however, tries to differentiate itself from 'strangers' here - it is a well-known company that you as a consumer can trust (or so they would like you to believe). This is also a culturally-dependent idea, as it's an issue of brand knowledge.

Now that the non-coded icons and the linguistic message have been analysed, they join to provide the coded iconic layer of meaning. Candy is used as an icon here because it is symbolic of something delicious and delightful: some might consider a motorcycle to be 'delicious' in a sense. The candy is dripping as though it were wet/previously licked; the text 'Don't take used stuff from strangers' implies that someone (a stranger) has licked this lollipop and set it down for you to take and eat yourself, if you so choose. Of course, most people think that licking a lollipop that someone else has already left their saliva on is disgusting and could spread illness, and is a pretty repulsive idea. Yamaha wants to say, "Would you ever seriously consider eating this stranger's used lollipop? Absurd, right? Well, so is buying a stranger's used motorcycle! You have no idea where it's been..."

--------------------
highschoolseniors.jpg
The 'casual'/non-corporate image I chose is a snapshot of eight young men and women who have crammed themselves into a small space. Everyone is smiling and looking outward from the space towards the camera. Four of the faces are staggered across the top of the frame, while the other four gradually emerge outward from the center towards the bottom left corner of the image. One person is wearing sunglasses, another is holding sunglasses; the left-hand side of the image is framed by a purple curtain which is being held back so that everyone's face can be seen. The subjects are wearing white tops, except for the girl in the foreground who is dressed in bright pink and green. As far as non-coded iconic imagery goes, there aren't a lot of clues in here as to what this situation signifies / what all of these people are specifically doing.

This image was posted to the internet with a caption that is not seen in the image itself: "FHS '08 Senior Trip! (No, this isn't all the seniors ;) )". This linguistic information provides the culturally-savvy viewer with much more context. In the United States, most high schools are referred to with abbreviations, such as F.H.S., so one can figure out that this image might be a bunch of high school students who were seniors in the year 2008 (as opposed to 1908, which one can deduce from the subjects' clothing - another culture-dependent clue) and who are on a 'senior trip', a celebration of impending graduation. We know they probably went to a special or out-of-the-ordinary place on this day and that is likely where the photo was taken.

It's difficult to pull the coded iconic messages away from the other kinds of message, especially the linguistic one. We can now figure that they are all smiling because they are having a good time on their senior trip, and/or they are very excited to be graduating and moving on to another phase of their lives. We know they are probably all from the same school class, and that they are crammed into a small space together, which might signify that these kids are a tight-knit group of friends (because they are willing to get so cozy); what's more, they are all so 'close together' in this image though they know they will soon be 'going their separate ways' after graduation. Facial expressions and brightness of light in the foreground give the students a sense of being youthful and lively, as does the large area of bright pink. Sunglasses are symbolic of being outside on a sunny day, or of 'being cool, young and confident'.

kithugstrees

Post by kithugstrees » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:05 am

The ad that I chose to discuss is of a European cinematic company called Utopolis, as is said on the bottom right corner of the picture. In terms of linguistics, the ad focuses on the bold type: Reality Sucks, with the url to find out more information at the bottom and their logo right next to it. The "group of cinemas" part helps the viewer (if they are from another country like me and don't know what Utopolis is) understand that what they are advertising deals with movies. If, say, the viewer didn't know that this ad was playing off a scene from a famous movie, the words on the image help them understand the joke a little bit more. If the text wasn't there, then this could easily be interpreted as a boat safety ad. The words "Reality Sucks" help the audience discern that movies, "fake life", is better.

The coded iconic message is better understood if you have seen the famous movie Titanic. In the movie, one of the more memorable scenes has the female protagonist, Rose, contemplating suicide by jumping off of the boat. The male protagonist, Jack, convinces her not to and they forrm a bond that, because of their social status, in forbidden. In the scene that is parodied in the ad above, Jack convince Rose to stand on the railing in a position that is very similar to the ad's. With her arms out and the ocean streaming below her, making it seem like she's flying, she shouts "I'm king of the world!" This ad makes fun of that iconic scene by having a segull hit the girl in the face, reiterating the lingustic message of "reality sucks" and cinema, where romantic scenes are so dramatic and extravegant, where nothing goes wrong, is so much better. The non coded iconic message is still rather simple, even if you've never seen the movie. With the help of the message on the bottom, the viewer can still come up with the same message of "cinema is better", even if it's not as funny.

The image above, which doesn't have a linguistic message, was taken years ago as I walked home from my high school with a few of my friends. Since it doesn't have a linguistic message, we'll move on to the non-coded iconic message. At first glace, without a background story, it seems like a candid picture of a couple holding hands, a judging girl off to the side, and two laughing friends in the background pointing and laughing at something that is unknown to the viewer. However, the coded iconic message, is that the couple in the middle aren't actually dating; the boy and the "judging girl" off on the side were dating at the time. The joke was that we (me, my friend laughing and the girl taking the picture) always felt that the to people holding hands acted like they were a couple so much that it seemed like they were the ones who were actually going out. So as they hold hands, the actual girlfriend stands off to the side, less than pleased. My friend and I are actually laughing at the three of them . . . because I suppose we thought infidelity was hilarious.

christinekim

Post by christinekim » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:16 am

This advertisement by Armani with Megan Fox is pretty clear on what they are trying to portray to their audience. Megan Fox is already known to be the celebrity that is sexy and charming. She is one of the hottest women celebrities and women already look up to her for her successful lifestyle. The ad, linguistically, only has the brand, "Giorgio Armani," "fragrance for women" and Megan Fox's name on the bottom left hand corner. Unlike other advertisements that are more straightforward about what they want their audience to understand, Giorgio Armani already knows what they are trying to portray and they understand that they do not need to overstate it. Simply having Megan Fox's name on the corner in tiny font explains the power that she has as a woman and the dominance she has in society.
The coded message is shown through the picture with Megan Fox being caressed by a good-looking male who is not looking at the camera. He is looking at Fox's body while she is looking at the viewers. Clearly the coded message is that he is more infatuated with her than she is of him and because of that the audience sees who has the upper hand. He seems to be holding her arm as if to beg for her attention, whilst Megan Fox is not even touching him except with her head. She seems to not at all care about this man and only cares to show her audience that this perfume can give one the power to seduce all men.
This ad does not make Megan Fox act like someone she is not, but instead Armani decided to portray exactly her. She even proudly wears her tattoo in the back. The red lips and tiny black dress show her sexuality and prominence in society. Her name in the corner explains that Armani did not have to hire a "model" to pretend to portray the fragrance they are trying to sell but instead hired a spokesperson that perfectly epitomizes the brand name.

My personal picture is one that I took of my friend at her wedding over the summer. The non-coded message is that she is getting married and walking down the aisle to soon be a wedded wife forever. The coded message is that the groom is actually crying at this moment whiles looking at his beautiful to-be wife. Another coded message is that at that moment, I actually wanted to get married because everything was so beautiful.
Attachments
IMG_0723.jpg
Megan_Fox_Armarni_30_Ad.jpeg
Last edited by christinekim on Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

martincastro

Post by martincastro » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:47 am

ad.jpg
In this advertisement for Nivea, the viewer is given a dramatic image of man getting ready to toss a mask. This is the non-coded message that Barthes writes about. The man in the ad is dressed very nicely with a white collared shirt under a nice gray v-neck sweater, pressed pants, and some dressy shoes. There are nice blue tones to the sky, a neutral grey concrete floor, which looks to be a parking lot. There is also nice lines of the floor, guard rails, and light post that all lead the viewer to the point anticipated where the mask will land after the man throws it. What can also be noted here is that the man can be viewed as African-American and the mask he is holding has dark skin, an Afro, and a beard. The linguistic message that Barthes also addresses is important in this advertisement. On the upper right hand corner the ad reads “Look Like You Give A Damn. Nivea for Men. Face Body Shave.” And across the middle of the image, “Re-Civilize Yourself.” This informs the viewer that Nivea is a grooming product, and that the viewer must care about their look. This ad is obviously directed toward a male audience. The cool colors prevalent in the ad create a very clean sense. Blues, whites, and neutral grays are conventionally used in product design to evoke feelings associated with hygiene and sanitary products. The coded message or connotative message of the image is that the man is throwing away his old-self or barbaric-self for his current well groomed and shaven self. This ad was actually taken down by Nivea after widespread public opinion that the ad was racist. This shows the power of the coded message. People were upset that an African-American man was depicted throwing away a metaphor for his un-civilized self. Activist groups called it racist because the Afro and beard were portrayed as un-civilized.
196816_10150198621687067_731542066_8789599_1207502_n.jpg
The casual snapshot I chose was just a photo I found on Facebook. It depicts two young males in the foreground and some people walking around in the background, one of which is holding a blue can. The person on the right (me) is the only one that is acknowledging the camera in a somewhat surprised fashion. The only linguistic messages seen here are the words written the figures clothing. The person on the left wears a sweatshirt that reads, “Bruins Track & Field” and is also wearing a beanie that reads, “Ucla.” The person on the right is wearing a sweatshirt that reads, “UCSB Soccer” although the “C” in UCSB and Soccer are not entirely legible. The picture takes place somewhere inside a predominately white walled building with wooden floors. The coded messages that can be read in this image is that the two guys in the foreground are caught in some kind of awkward social situation since they are wearing clothing that represent two different schools and two different sports. Also the viewer may also assume that this photography is taking place in some social situation by assuming that the blue can one of the figures in the background is holding is a can of beer, specifically bud light.

goldgills

Post by goldgills » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:56 am

In the article by Roland Barthes, "Rhetoric of the Image," there were three main points the viewer should take away in regards on how to decipher an image. The linguistic, coded iconic, and non-coded iconic messages that are all found with in an advertisement. There are certain and precise decisions that go into advertising. These decisions center around the placement of words, the cropping of the photo, the lighting, giving the models direction and so on and so forth. Other times the advertisement can be completely made up by an animator such as the image below, by Juicy Fruit Chewing Gum.

The linguistic message of this ad is located in the bottom right hand corner of the picture and says "There's A Much Juicer Chew." Now the viewer can take this literally. Juicy fruit has come out with a more flavorful and juicer gum! However when first looking at this picture the text may be the second thing the viewer looks at. In the center of the image there is a great white shark and a scuba diver, placed vertically side by side embraced in a sort of way. The shark has his fin around the scuba diver, and they look happy. The linguistic message now changes, and gives more meaning to the picture. The linguistic message the viewer takes away is, this gum is so good that the great white shark would rather chew the gum than the scuba diver.

The coded iconic message plays on the violent nature of the great white shark, and the helplessness most people experience when face to face with sharks. The great white shark, feared by many, has the reputation for being a man eater. The movie "Jaws" only makes this idea stronger. The coded iconic message relies on the linguistics of the ad because although one can clearly see the shark means the human no harm, they wouldn't know the cause if it wasn't for the words.

The non coded iconic messages can be found in the body language and expressions with in the subjects, mainly the shark. The up right position of the shark is very unnatural. They are usually portrayed horizontally, in a stream line formation. The shark is also portrayed very friendly, with his arm around the diver and a huge smile on its face. Juicy fruit makes you happy.

The linguistics in the self image are hard to see but are located on the shirts we are wearing. "Teenage Mutuant Ninga Turtles." Growing up as a kid this was a very popular show and many would know what the ninja turtles represent. Good crime fighting skills! The coded information comes from the group and the viewers eye goes from subjects that are larger in frame to those who are farther away in frame (and no thats not Splinter, its scooby-doo). The viewer gets a sense that these college kids are having a fun time with the body language and expressions on all of our faces. One may note the short shorts, the girls forced us to wear them. There are also other symbols, volcom stone, that are on the black and orange socks, and the scobby-doo with his hand signs, representing taylor gang.
Attachments
261885_2219552127762_1216412188_32779338_407112_n.jpg

ewoodworth

Post by ewoodworth » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:55 am

For this assignment, I chose to talk about a Trojan condom ad rich with unspoken meaning. The denotation, or literal image depicts an interesting day at the beach. The first thing to catch my eye was the woman in the foreground reading a book entitled “No Time for Swine” while an obtrusive pig snout invades her personal space. I then noticed the rest of the scene; one woman seems startled while a pig squirts sunscreen all over her back, another tries to sunbathe while a pig sneaks a photo. Another woman is ogled by two pigs while she tries to retrieve a volleyball, and so continues these interactions all the way into the ocean where one woman can be seen running from a pig through the waves. The most prominent figures stand in the middle of the frame, drawing attention through their lack of disgust for one another in contrast with the rest of the scene. They are two beautiful people, a man and a woman, smiling and holding hands, clearly enjoying each others company. The message at the bottom of the ad reads, “Evolve. Choose the one who uses a condom every time.”

The connotation here is that men are pigs. The ones who aren’t pigs are awesome, and they use condoms. So, if they don’t use Trojan then they are pigs and they will ruin your day. The ad is aimed at women rather then men, which is interesting for a condom ad. The perfection of the supposed condom-using couple contrasted with the disgust depicted on the faces of the other women is intended to make women want to see men who use condoms.

For my personal photo, I chose a snapshot from my 21st birthday. Although there are no words or explicit explanations, meaning can be gathered from the connotation. At first glance, it looks like someone is slapping me in the face (nor pleasant). But my body language and the background tell another story. Everyone is covered in cake and everyone is having a good time, as you can tell by the girl laughing hysterically in the background. Also, the photo was taken at night, which suggests a party, as most parties happen at night. All of these implicit signs suggest a fun, playful environment filled with friends and good times.
Attachments
207900_194840500552776_100000804815317_419484_280346_n.jpg
Personal Photo
trojan_evolve.jpg
Advertisement: Trojan Condoms