w04 Classification

Essgeepayne

Re: w04 Classification

Post by Essgeepayne » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:52 am

(having trouble getting my photos to show correctly)
http://www.tumblr.com/photo/1280/coneyi ... cSa1qawi5m
http://coneyislandbaby.tumblr.com/post/17204622952/whoo
1. Mammals
2. Animal has four legs, but is standing on two (Faith the dog without front legs who walks around on just the back ones looking like a little man wouldn’t count).
3. Image lacks presence of real human.
4. Composition focuses on just the standing animal(s). Animal(s) in the general center of frame with lack of much competing subject matter.

Arrangement system: increasing order of how much the animal(s) look like people.

atbournes

Post by atbournes » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:16 am

Noah's Arch Revisited
artz redo.jpg
Attributes:
1. Formally there is an arch that can be found in each photo, in most of the photos multiple arches can be found.
2. There is a consistent color scheme in each photo. We find a warmly colored arch, generally orange or beige, fully encompassed by a contrasting color, usually darker or cooler .
3. The subject matter of each photo deals with the beauty or irregularities of nature. The seeming exceptions being the flooded toilet and the yelling man, however the toilet picture is aesthetically similar to imagery of river flooding and historically speaking it can be argued that humans are the most beautiful aspect of nature.
4. The final linking attribute is the prominence of the background in each image. The orange marks seem to explode from the mans head, the wood grain appears to be more intricate and detailed than the snake itself, the flooded bathroom conveys the rage and power of an ocean, the cloudy sky accompanying the rainbow is majestic and the trees in the last photo are tall and encompassing. Far from being passive, all of the background strive for and often receive the viewers primary gaze.

Organization: The images are organized in such a way to tell the story of the flood found in the bible. The yelling man represents Gods anger/ wrath which provokes him to flood the earth. The two headed snake is symbolic of the two of each animal which God instructed Noah to load on the arch. The flooding toilet calls to mind the imagery of the flooded earth. The rainbow is more straightforwardly representational of the rainbow which god used to promise to Noah that he would not flood the earth again. And lastly the canopy and trees represent a return to normalcy/ human occupation and development of the earth.
Last edited by atbournes on Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

erikbarrios07

Re: Classification Project Week 4

Post by erikbarrios07 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:22 am

Attributes:
1. Each of the photograph have been captured with a representation or using people as their subject matter.

2. The photographs share no specific time,but each have a perfect timing situation that enables the photograph to be as effective or to create the humor.

3. The photographs are presented with a foreground and background where the subject in the foreground is creating the background to have an effect in the image as a whole.

4. The photographs are intentionally shot to create humor and are most effective since they present a real time shot.

Organization:
Each of the photographs have a subject matter of a person or an object. These images would have not been as effective if the photographer had been at another angle. I organized them by which the subject matter is fro left, center, right. Allowing the reader to follow the point of the illusion and find it a lot faster.
Attachments
angles.jpg

jessicalaw04

Post by jessicalaw04 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:48 am

For this project, I had 5 of my friends picking five different images for me and try to make connection from them. All the pictures them sent to me are from different area/categories and have nothing to do with each other. Therefore, I tried to organize them first in a roll and from black and white to the most colorful (left to right). Also, the lighting in each picture are professionally set up, which there are three commercial products pictures, one picture taken from a NBA video, and a picture taken for artistic photography). I found it interesting that all the pictures I got are something that people desire to have. The first one on the left is someone enjoying his private time in the bathroom, and I believe it is something that everyone would love and want. The second one is a very expensive and good quality camera that a lot of people want, and the person who sent me the image claims himself as a photographer. The third one is a picture of Jeremy Lin, who is a NBA player who scored 25 or more for all his recent, and more and more people are starting to admire him, which can be a lot of people’s dream. The forth one is an image of some very nice looking desserts and who wouldn’t want to enjoy a great teatime? The last one on the right is a picture of some iphone cases with toy story characters on it, and smart phones are becoming part of our daily life in this generation and this kind of accessory could be products that a lot of girls want.
Attachments
130connection.jpg

j_j05ham

Post by j_j05ham » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:02 pm

I chose to go with a sequence of comic book cover pictures in order to depict the changes that follow throughout the years as well as show how the era or year influenced comics. Although most comic books pertain to their own little universe, often times writers will instill a message within the comic that pertains to the current media. For example, Batman lives in the city of Gotham, a city full of crime and fear. It is a per trail of what could possible occur (and might even be for that matter) within manner of our all too real cities such as New York, Chicago and Los Angeles. Thus the work is suppose to show how a make believe world is influenced by the outside/real world.
The first image is from 1939 and has a simple tone in color; there is also less detail present and a mixture of round and straight lines, no real abstract amount of shapes. This depicts the simplicity or at least view point of a simpler America during that time. It was the starting year for World War II but the war was yet to come.

The second Image is from a comic during 1980; here we have a closer view of batman with more detail and coloring, the structure in the back also have more detail but we still find a similar sense of tone through color as in the last image. The image depicts advancement, but overall still a productive and cheerful persona.

The third image is from 1990, the overall color scheme of the picture changes. We get darker colors and more shadowing of Batman. The buildings in the background have a vast majority of more detail. The comic book cover depicts a darker world, one that is going through or final getting past the Cold War. People began to see that world as a bit more of a darker place than before; fear began to kick in.

The fourth image is from 2000, within the image we see a drastic change in art or image texture. The image and colors look fresher; there is no longer this dot like look to the image but rather smooth solid colors. It’s as if the comic book covers began to take a more artist approaches than previously before. Another main difference is the incorporation of guns into this image. Perhaps the comic book cover is depicting the increase in crime rates within dense cities.

The final image is of a most recent issue published in 2012, it depicts batman actually striking a foe, where his hand is visible instead of being blocked by a large caption of pow or what not. The cover shows the Medias and the people ever growing acceptance of violence.

The images are lumped to together in that they are all comic book covers, they have batman in an action pose and they create a sort of swinging attack sequence which has migrated with the heroic character throughout the years. Likewise, the color scheme transitions from one image to the next, the first being orange and yellow, the second orange and blue, the third purple and blue, the fourth purple and blue with more black and the fifth image is blue black gray and purple (mainly darker colors). We also find a transition of detail and artistic style evolving down the line.
(Also I chose comics book covers in order to have a bit of fun during the assignment.)

tikamoini

Post by tikamoini » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:50 pm

Classification Attributes:
1. Each picture depicts a frozen moment of an ongoing movement and action. Each subject is one of movement, even the water droplets that will continue to slide and take shape after the image has been taken.
2. There is a circular form and motion within each image. The action in each image creates a cyclical motion, and this circular form is the dominant feature of each image.
3. Each image depicts nature: a moment in nature, interaction with nature, and the form of nature.
4. Each of these images is contrasted to create more vibrant colors and hues, and each images contains a dark black value.

Organization:
II organized these images first in a top to bottom relationship, where in the top image we see a moment in nature and in the bottom image we see a human interaction with nature that resembles the moment in nature; through composition, color, and action. Then I arranged these grouping of images from the youngest human figure to the oldest.

Together these images demonstrate the cyclical nature of movement and life.
Attachments
Presentation1.jpg

karenyliu

Post by karenyliu » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:52 am

I found these photos online which they all have similarity, a set of organizaiton.
classification.jpg
First of all, they are obviously all photos of human figure. To be more accurately, they all have only one figure in the photo. Second, this set is composed with six staged photography. It is easy to tell that they are all set up by the postures, the compositions and the surroundings. I found myself most interested in stage photo because it is usually stories behind them. Photos that tell stories are my favorite reason for photography. Third, all of these figures in the photos do not have a clear image of their faces. I thought this is an interesting similarity they share. By not showing their faces, the identity could imply to anybody. I like how the photographers chose not to show people's faces so that the audience think of themselves as they read these photos. And this lead to another similarity that all figures in this set of photos look out to certain point, not directly to the audience. This is another similarity I love about this set. When you look at these people in the photos, it is obvious that they are thinking/considering/struggling with something in their mind. The pose of wondering is beautiful described in this set. Lastly, as the audience read from the first photo to the last, there is this sense of "the moment" when everything stops with silence. I think, after all, this set of organization is what interests me the most. I probably chose these photo because they have my favorite elements in a photo.

For another set of organization, I chose to put them together this way (read from the left to the right) with the color range from the least to the most. Other than color range getting larger, the colors also get more and more intense as it goes to the last photo on the right hand side.

j_j05ham

Post by j_j05ham » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:07 am

Classification: City Sky

Four Classifications:
Categories- The main focus of the images is to portray two categories; the sky which covers the upper parts of the image and the earth which occupies the lower half of the photo.
Location- Each image, more or less, has a central point where the lines of the image point in towards. This can more easily be seen from the lines of the city; the city’s buildings and streets are shifted vertically to point towards the central point.
Time- The time of the photos pertains to a certain section of the day; they are either of the sunset or sunrise. Because these are photos it isn’t very clear because the sky looks almost the same during sunrise and sunset but these are most likely images of sunset because a vast majority of the buildings have their lights on. Besides having the exact time recorded of when the photos were taken, it is very difficult to determine which is captured in an image. The sun rises in the east and settles in the west.
Multiple Organizations- The two categories found within the images can be further broken into smaller sets of organization. The sky has clouds and rays from the sun. The earth has a city which is interpreted through streets, buildings, lights and etc.

Sequence Classifications:
Alphabetical- The images are arranged alphabetically by their city’s name, the order is as follows: Chicago, Los Angeles, Los Vegas, New York and San Francisco.

Although alphabetical is a simplistic way of organizing the images, I decided to stay with it do to its somewhat interesting order such as the organizing properties that followed. Originally the images were to be organized by time and location, meaning the position of the sun would determine a chronological order of the day passing. However, when putting the images in alphabetical order I see a slight pattern of tone (seen through the color) emerge. The first image has darker colors such as a sky filled with more purple than blue and buildings with heavy shadowing, where as the second image is largely filled with blue and less shadow on surrounding the presence of the buildings. To continue the pattern, the third image once again is dark and filled with a high amount of purple (or magenta to be more photo technical), the only thing is that the city in this image is very well lit with lights but even still it doesnt completely take away from the sequential pattern. The fourth image transitions to lighter colors, using a great amount of blue with sprinkles of yellow light. Finally the fifth image once again has a large base of purple sky and shaded city to express its tone.
Attachments
city.png

kendallecrawley

Post by kendallecrawley » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:49 pm

sized_p5210131rbw.jpg
images.jpeg
2562316034_86d70e92ca_b.jpg
1200069972_eye_reflection.jpg
800_308.jpg
149A car reflection b+w.jpg
6a00d8341c5f2153ef014e8a32df8c970d-350wi.jpg
Classification:
1. First the images can be classified by color. They are all shades of black and white, none of them contain any color. Although some are more high contrast and some have more muted tones they are all in grayscale.
2. Another thing all the images have in common is their content. They all portray some type of reflection, whether it is in the water, a mirror, a glass, the side of a building, a car, a chess board or on the ground.
3. The subject of all the images is either an object, a landscape or building, none of them are directed around people. Although the image of the reflection on the wall has people in it, they are not the main subject of the image, the building is.
4. Lastly all of the images have a sense of uncertainty. What is reflected is not actually shown in the image, like a person looking in the mirror and you can see that person in the image. Instead all of the photographs show only a reflection, and we cannot see what the actual scene looks like. It is uncertain because reflections can often distort images and what is being reflected might look completely different if will look directly at the scene itself.

Organization:
I organized the images by the clarity of the image. I put them in order by which I thought they would represent the actual scene most accurately if you were looking at it directly. I started with the image of the tree and fries wheel reflected onto the ground because it was pretty fuzzy. Next I chose the reflection in the glass because it is distorted and you can’t tell exactly what it is. Then the reflection of the chess board because although the reflection is pretty faint you can still tell that they are the other players chess pieces. Next I listed the reflection in the side of the building because there are several different reflections that make it kind of confusing. I decided to put the one of the car next because although the reflection is pretty clear the shape of the car alters the image. Next I put the reflection of the train track in the mirror, it is a pretty clear image but the convex mirror makes it slightly distorted. Lastly, I chose the reflection of the trees in the water because the details of the trees are very clear.
organization.png

ewoodworth

Post by ewoodworth » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:38 pm

Classification:

The criteria I used for classification refer only to the bottom row of photos rather then their monotone counterparts on the top row:

1) Each photo that I added to this collection was shot with a macro lens, or is at least extremely close to the subject, only showing the fine details that we do not usually observe at first glance.

2) This close-up perspective leads me to the next similarity between the images; each only depicts a part of the whole. It is not easy to identify exactly what is depicted in every image, and some could easily be multiple things. The first image is spines of a cactus, but it could just as easily be thorns on a hedgehog (which are depicted in the second image). Similarly, I would guess that image six (bottom left) is a picture of a clam shell if I did not find it by typing “macro mushroom” into Google search.

3) The third thing that all the images have in common is that they are pieces of organic objects that can be found in nature: plants, animals, fungus and earth.

4) The fourth thing in common has something to do with the aesthetics of the photos themselves rather than the subjects depicted. They all share a similar color pallet. Warm browns, tans, yellows and reds dominate the images and bring a sense of unity when viewed side by side.

Organization:

Macro photography is able to take an object and reduce it to its textural components, focusing on the details of form rather than trying to derive meaning form a bigger picture. In order to organize these images, I wanted to take that idea a step farther with the help of Photoshop. In Photoshop, I took each bottom row image and reduced the resolution to 1 pixel X 1 pixel. Since a pixel can only contain one unique color, this forced Photoshop to reduce the image to one overall color. I then re-expanded the monotone pixel image to its original size and placed it on top of its pre-reduced counterpart. I placed the images side by side based on the colors of the single-pixel images to create a value scale that starts with the most yellow image on the right and ends with the most grey.
Attachments
classification 2.jpg
Classification Images: