w04 Classification

glegrady

w04 Classification

Post by glegrady » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:20 pm

CLASSIFICATION SKETCH: The assignment deals with analysis and classification of images.
1. Select 5 to 15 digital images from anywhere (preferably found images)
2. Each image must have 4 classiication attributes in common with all the other images
3. Organize the images in a sequence according to another set of classification
4. Create a project page with title on top and your name
5. Assemble images in a web page, or a flickr account, or anywhere that has a URL address
6. Consider the group as a system: Describe the elements, and their relation to each other using any methods of organization (time, location, colors, volume, brightness, incremental, associative, a to b is b to c, etc.
George Legrady
legrady@mat.ucsb.edu

ellencampbell

Re: w04 Classification

Post by ellencampbell » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:11 pm

Classification

I began searching for images by Googling random words, looking at magazine photo shoots, searching for images I liked on blogs, forums, and on Pinterest. After dragging them all into a folder, I tried to find common themes, colors, compositions, and other attributes between them. I found that most of the images I was attracted to had common subjects and tones, so I focused on those and went from there!
classification.jpg
Attributes

First, every photographs subject is a female. Even though some photos are more ambiguous than other, such as images 1, 3 and 11, by showing only a fragment of the body, the shape and delicacy they take on make it evident that they belong to a woman.

None of the faces of these females remains unhidden. Three of the 14 images do not include the subject’s head; three more are covered by the women's long hair; four are covered by natural elements (flowers, birds, butterflies); and three more show the female turned around. Images 12 and 14, on the other hand, obscure the women’s faces through extreme light and extreme shadow. The overall effect of these unknown identities creates an eerie and mysterious mood in each photograph.

Every photo contains a prominent element of nature; whether it is displayed through setting or as a complementary subject. As mentioned above, many of the natural elements are used to distort or cover the model’s face, making the organic forms as significant or nearly as significant as the female. Pairing females with nature enhances the idea of beauty and innocence. This is because nature is pure and uncorrupted just like the “ideal” young lady.

Lastly, all the chosen images portray a sense of isolation and uncertainty of where it takes place. The framing of each photograph does not include enough information for the viewer to identify where the image is. The first four images along with image 8, do not even hint at where they could be located. Others make the viewer guess that the woman is in some sort of a meadow, body of water, or beach/lake type location; however, this uncertainty and seclusion of the female make the image an enigma.

Organization/System

These photographs are organized by natural elements. The first few images start out with images relating to the sky and then transition to images relating to the earth, then to water. Some of the photos, such as image 5, were more difficult to match to just one element. Therefore, these images were placed between the two elements they convey. I think this arrangement is subtle and complimentary to the image themes.

rjliang

Post by rjliang » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:05 pm

RosanaLiang_Classification.jpg
Attributes:

1. The first, and probably most obvious, classification attribute is multiple exposure. Each photograph makes use of some form of superimposition of two or more individual exposures, done either digitally or manually.

2. The second attribute has to do with time. Each photograph was taken or produced in the past ten years (2002 to 2012). I widened the time frame to ten years because I wanted a variety of digitally and manually generated multiple exposure photographs.

3. Content-wise, each photograph contains an image from the natural environment. While a few of the photographs incorporate trees, others include floral arrangements or portions of the sky.

4. The last attribute of this series of photographs involves the presence of a human figure. Although some of these figures are obscure, such as in the second and fourth photographs, each exists in its own haunting way.

Organization:

The photographs are arranged by the color order of the rainbow. While the first photograph pops with its bright red hues, it also displays hints of violet. This was intentionally done to give the series a circular, rather than linear, feel where there is no true start or end.

mogle09

Post by mogle09 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:19 pm

Classification:
I remember seeing a commercial a while back that showed a bunch of objects that created faces. I really enjoyed it, because it made me look at everyday objects a little bit differently, it made me notice things that I had never noticed before. So, I decided to find images on Flickr and Google of objects that we could find in our everyday lives, that contain an image of a face. I then decided to find pictures of babies making faces that resemble the faces on the objects.

Attributes:
1. One of the more obvious attributes is that the entire top row contains colored images of objects we could find in our everyday lives. Objects such as appliances, cups, and computer chips. Each of the images are common objects that people sometimes look at more than once a day.
2. Each image in the top row also contains unintentional faces. Some of the images contain faces that are more noticeable, but if you look carefully, you can find what looks like eyes and a mouth in each of the images in the top row.
3. Each image in the second row contains an image of a single baby. Also, In each of the images the baby is facing forward toward the camera.
4. Color, or lack there of, is also an attribute in the bottom row of images. Each image on the second row was taken in black and white. I think that this emphasizes the emotions produced by each of the facial expressions.
5. There is also a vertical association between the images. Each pair of images, on the top and bottom, are paired to resemble the same facial expression. For example, in the first image, the face found on the faucet is frowning, and the baby below the sink is also frowning.

Organization:
These image are organized in order to see the resemblance between the object and the babies facial expression. I organized these images so that the expressions found on the objects in the top row matches the expression found on the babies below them. These images are also organized by mood. I started the row with the saddest face and progressed to the happiest, with the more ambiguous and neutral images in between.
baby.gif

hnavery

Post by hnavery » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:42 pm

cellmap.jpg
Attributes:
1. All of the images are made up of parts that produce a whole. The roads and landmarks come together to form a city and country. The individual cells or cell parts come together to form whole tissues and body parts.
2. Each image is intended to be informative. Pictures of cells are often used in educational settings and presentations and maps are used in order to navigate a city.
3. All of the pictures contain circular elements. This makes sense in the natural world since the simplest and strongest shape is a circle.
4. The opposing cell-map images are virtual opposites of each other in relation to size. The cells can be measured in micrometer as opposed to the cities which are measured in kilometers. It’s interesting to see how things that vary so vastly in scale still share characteristics.

Organization/Classification:
The images were first collected by finding cell slides and city maps that corresponded to each other in some way. They were then organized from left to right by the date of the maps, starting in 1613 in a medieval city and ending in 2003 in Mexico. Most of the cell/city images are matched due to their similar shapes but the fourth image was matched based primarily on colors. It’s interesting to see how things that vary so vastly in scale still share characteristics.

tikamoini

Post by tikamoini » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:23 pm

See Next Post
Last edited by tikamoini on Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

kyle_gordon

Post by kyle_gordon » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:24 pm

image-sequence.jpg
System:

I began my search on google for urban photographs. The subject I wanted to depict were images that were grunge-like and dark. After skimming through a lot of pictures, I pulled some of just buildings but others consisting of art, and even some advertising something. All of them chosen because they give off the "dark" mood I wanted.

My reason for the placement of the images in the way I did was so they almost fit together like a jig-saw puzzle. I wanted to create a new composition from the existing images that retained the dark feeling of each individual image. Overall I would say the new image does manage to retain the original mood while also keeping some sort of symmetry. I like how parts of the new composition are symmetrical in some places and a little unbalanced in others, but overall seems to balance itself on the plane. The result from piecing each of the images together in the way I have, allows for the eye to flow easily between the images in each row, while also linking the images of each row to the ones above in some way. This was done by matching up similar tones or geometric shapes of each individual image.

Attributes/Classification:

#1: Greyscale: To begin with each image is in black and white. This sets the mood as one of gloom almost in all the images, making the entire sequence a solemn yet calm feel. The different shading of each as a result of the greyscaling causes bits and pieces of each image to almost fit together/ feed off of eachother into the next image.

#2: Geometric Shapes: When looking at each image on its own, there seem to be a lot of slants, as if you could divide the images into triangles. As a result of this we see some sort of symmetry in the entire composition as if viewing each image as broken into individual triangles. (All the images have distinct use of camera angles or physical angles in the subject matter).

#3: Subject Matter: Each image consists of some urban setting/ building. Some portray art while others are just pictures of buildings. Although they all depict something similar, the photographs themselves were all taken for different purposes (ex. the ones displaying urban art as a means for a portfolio, displaying a clothing article for an advertisement, etc.).

#4: Tones: Each image has similar tones, mostly consisting of darker greys. As a result of these tones, the images appear to be darker aesthetically, depicting scenes that again, depict loneliness, gloominess, maybe even creepiness.

#5: Isolation: Each of the images gives off a lonely feeling or a sense of isolation. There are no more than one figure in each image if any, often remaining constant in depicting solely the subject matter in each image.
Last edited by kyle_gordon on Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mmihalche

Post by mmihalche » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:35 pm

animals and kids.jpg
I started looking through various images on google, national geographic website, blogs, flicker any source I can find until I happened to stumble upon images of animals that seemed to be hugging or kissing; an action which I would normally associate with human behavior. I started selecting as many images as I could and finding images of children doing a similar action.

Classification:
1. The images in the top row are all of animals while the ones on the bottom are images of children
2. The animals or people are all doing a similar motion, the position of the body is the same between the top and the bottom images; even the cropping is similar.
3. The images are categorized according to color since the top row is colored and the bottom is black and white
4. All images give a feeling of peace and love , contentment of being together since the animals and children are hugging or kissing .

Organization:
I chose to put all the images of animals on the top and the children on the bottom; there is a correlation between the top and the bottom images . The images on the bottom choose different stages of a possible situation and the top images match the movement and show how animals can express a similar action as humans.
Last edited by mmihalche on Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

michaeld.johnsoncst

Post by michaeld.johnsoncst » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:24 pm

proj.png
http://i.imgur.com/xeBuT.png

Attributes:

1. The five above images are relate to each through the theme of drug abuse. Each image presents different aspects of the abuse of heroin, from the very first stage of production (growing poppies), to needles, to melting down, to over does, and death.

2. They also share an aesthetic attribute by being all black and white.

3. They share a similar form of organization, The flowers are upright, the needles are upright, the flame cooking the heroin is upright, and over does victim should be upright, and the gravestones are upright.

4. Metaphors exist between the poppies, the needles, and the gravestones. And another metaphor exists between the bubbling of heroin on the spoon, and the bubbling of vomit in the the mouth of the victim of over dose.

The organization is intended to rely the narrative of a heroin addict, starting from the soil and back to the soil.

baxterwfrick

Post by baxterwfrick » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:47 pm

--- Classification Project ---

Classifications:

1. "Sports/Statues" -- At a first run through of the ten images, immediately the viewer sees that all of the pictures in the top row depict an athlete in the middle of playing their sport. In particular each picture is primarily of one singular athlete. From left to right the sports are Basketball, Soccer, Football, Golf, and Baseball. The 5 pictures on the bottom row are all of iconic statues. From left to right Statue of Liberty, Prometheus, Achilles, Statue of David, and Memorial at Iwo Jima.

2. "Active Motion" -- In all of the five pictures on the top row the athletes are in their respective "acts" of playing their sport. Kobe Bryant is shooting, Tim Howard is diving to save a shot, Peyton Manning is cocking his arm back, Tiger is in his follow through, and Derek Jeter is swinging his bat. In the bottom row the pictures of the statues are mimicing that of its vertical partner.

3. "Association" -- Each of the statues have certain background information or general characteristics they represent, which can then be associated with the sports image above it. ex: David vs. Golith, underdog vs. this enormous being = Tiger Woods, golfing vs. competition/media or Peyton Manning/Football vs Achilles/War

4. "Background -- The backgrounds on each of the photos when compared to its vertical partner share a similar, if even abstract, detail. ex: Kobe Bryant/Basketball - the spectaters that are blured = the fireworks going off behind the Statue of Liberty. or Peyton Manning/Football, blurred heads of spectators = Trees behind the Statue of Achilles

System --- The organization of these pictures relies on the location of the "ball" in the top rows. As you move from picture to picture, the ball moves from the top left, through each image to the bottom right in the last picture. Or as in the bottom row as a narrative of war (which can also be associated with sports) in that there is liberty/peace (Statue of Liberty), then one man challenges another (Prometheus stealing fire), war ensues and there is a battle (Achilles), underdog defeats the superior man/team (Statue of David), and finally triumph (Memorial at Iwo Jima).
Attachments

[The extension tiff has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Last edited by baxterwfrick on Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.