w04 Classification

brenna.osborn1

Re: w04 Classification

Post by brenna.osborn1 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:00 pm

1) Color: The first obvious classification for these images is that they are all in black and white. Their lack of color plays upon the historicity of the images since black and white photos usually connote old pictures. These pictures are, in fact black and white because of their time era. Which leads to the next classification.
2) Time: All the images are from pre-1950. The ones of the ship are from 1939. The railroad picture is from 1946 and the middle train picture is from 1938. The plane picture is harder to know because its date wasn't listed. It's taken by a photographer who was prominent before and throughout World War II so it was probably taken around that time.
3) Source: All these images are also from Life Magazine, so they are photojournalistic. They were used to show the public aspects of certain modes of transportation. Two of the images depict an English Hospital Ship, one the Santa Fe Railroad, one the interior of a train car, and one a German Catapult Plane
4) Content: These images can also be classified by their content. They all depict modes of transportation on the three basic terrains: the air, the land and the sea.

Organization: I decided to organize these pictures aesthetically by the directionality of the dominant lines in the picture. I began with the image in the middle which has a radial pattern to its lines and found other pictures of transportation that follow the lines out on each side and either close the open parallel lines or continue them (as is the case of the bottom image). The ship's bottom and deck create two lines diminishing to the left; the train and its reflection form two diminishing lines to the right; the plane's runway forms lines that diminish away from the viewer; and the ship's ramps form lines that continue outward. I like the composition because it balances out and seems as if it's being held up by the two legs of the ship ramps.
Attachments
arts130.png

wangqian321

Classification project: White and blue-- qianwang

Post by wangqian321 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:28 pm

I found these images by searching the key words “white and blue” on Flickr. And I try to organize them in certain order.

Classification:
1, Each of these image is mainly made up of blue and white. In upper images, there is more white color, on the contrary, there is more color of blue in bottom row.
2, There are parting-lines formed by the differences among the colors, light, and shapes of the objects in each picture.
3, Content of the images is all about details of objects or livings. We can only judge what the objects are by the information provided by the details.
4, The objects and livings in the images are so common that nearly could be seen everyday and everywhere. They are all everyday objects.

Organization:
1,I organize them with a rule of reducing the main color from left to right in both rows. In the top row, white color is reducing from the left side to right side, similarly, blue color is reducing from left to right. In the last pair, white and blue are in balance.
2, Each pair of images (top and bottom) are sharing the similar composition, but they are opposite to each other. If you fold the whole image top to bottom, the shapes of objects in the top row are of symmetry with the bottom row. Similarly, the left side and right side of the picture are opposite to each other, too. If the whole image is folded right to left, two sides are in coincidence.
3, The color in each image is opposite to the color above or below it.
4, From left to right, objects in the pictures are varying from simple to complicated.

I assemble the images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/76079363@N07/
classification.jpg

catiee55

Post by catiee55 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:27 pm

1) Time- All of these photos compare 70s vs. current time. All the photos on the left hand side are photos of the famous landmarks in the 1970's and all the photos on the right are current time. Through the times of the photo you can see the change and development they went through the years.
2) Source- All of these photos are taken by people for personal usage. I found all of these photos on blogs or personal websites.
3)Location- All of theses photos are the same location to the one they are compared to. They are compositionally similar also. (New York, NY---Paris, France---San Francisco, CA---Miami, Florida---London, England)
4)Content- All the photos are all major cities( New York, San Francisco, Miami, London)

I decided to break the photos into 2 columns. The right side would be all the photos from the 1970's and on the right would be the current photos. I did this so you could see the differences and similarities that have taken place over time. Some of the changes are drastic just like the New York or minimal like the Paris, France photo. The layout signifies time.
Attachments
comparisn.jpg

ewoodworth

Post by ewoodworth » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:00 am

Classification:

1) Each photo that I added to this collection was shot with a macro lens, or is at least extremely close to the subject, only showing the fine details that we do not usually observe at first glance.

2) This close-up perspective leads me to the next similarity between the images; each only depicts a part of the whole. It is not easy to identify exactly what is depicted in every image, and some could easily be multiple things. The first image is spines of a cactus, but it could just as easily be thorns on a hedgehog (which are depicted in the second image). Similarly, I would guess that image six (bottom left) is a picture of a clam shell if I did not find it by typing “macro mushroom” into Google search.

3) The third thing that all the images have in common is that they are pieces of organic objects that can be found in nature: plants, animals, fungus and earth.

4) The fourth thing in common has something to do with the aesthetics of the photos themselves rather than the subjects depicted. They all share a similar color pallet. Warm browns, tans, yellows and reds dominate the images and bring a sense of unity when viewed side by side.

Organization:

Since the content of the photos is too vague to organize by size or location or anything of that sort, I decided to go with the most prominent aspect: the texture. I organized all ten images from most scrambled and disheveled patterns to the most unified, starting with the top row from left to right and continuing on the bottom.
Attachments
classification project.jpg
classification photos

christinekim

Post by christinekim » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:21 am

Observation:
Certain foods look like certain objects in the world. A bagel looks exactly like a cd and toasted bread looks a lot similar to a floppy disk. Eating spaghetti when I was younger, I always noticed that it looks like my computer wires all tangled up. The stacks of layers in lasagna look like the floors on a building.
Attachments
art130.jpg
Last edited by christinekim on Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

mel.weismann

Post by mel.weismann » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:39 am

I found these five images by doing a Google search for 'image of the day' or 'photo of the day' and selecting a few image links that sounded like they would produce very different images.

Classification attributes:

1. Each of these images include some sort of plant life: 1) octopus: seaweed 2) newt sign: shrubbery 3) springboks: trees 4) football players: grass (though it may actually be fake grass) 5) eyeball-man: a potted plant. (This means that they also all have some sort of the color green in them.)

2. Each image also has a depiction of an animal in it: 1) an octopus 2) a newt (as well as the word 'newt' which is a kind of depiction) 3) some springboks 4) some humans 5) a human in a strange costume.

3. All of the images are in 'full color', as opposed to being monochrome or black-and-white/grayscale. However, some of them are more high-contrast than the others (the colors in the octopus image are much brighter than the colors in the eyeball-man image, etc.). In all of the images, the subjects are clearly visible/not obscure.

4. While there aren't always dates attached directly to these images, he photographs seem to have been taken relatively recently - that is, for one reason or another, it's likely that they have all been created after around the year 1970. This can be argued from a visual standpoint as well as because of context clues in the images: The football players' outfits have a modern appearance and the lighting and crispness of the photograph require recent camera technologies. The image of the octopus could not be taken without fairly recent underwater photo equipment. The graphical styling of the 'newt crossing' sign is far from antique, and the road appears to be well-paved, unlike streets of older decades. While the image of the eye-man has a washed-out 'vintage' feel to it, and while the furnishings might appear dated, the athletic shoes which he is wearing are a style that is most likely from the 1970s onward. Finally, the photo of the springboks was taken in a wildlife park that was created in the year 2000.

5. These images are all 'intentionally communicative': rather than being random snapshots (such as those taken using a timer, or accidentally, or at a traffic stoplight, or with a security camera, etc.), each of these images seems to have been taken at the specific moment at which it was taken for a special purpose: 1) the octopus was captured to share the fact that it exists, or maybe has some special characteristics important to scientists; 2) the newt sign was photographed perhaps so someone could share how amusing they found the sign to be; 3) the eyeball person was photographed in order to show others what the costume he wore looked like; 4) the football players are demonstrating the action of the game for people who didn't get to watch it; 5) the springbok image works a lot like the octopus image.

Organization sequence:
These images are organized according to approximate comparative levels of average brain size in relation to body weight of the animals depicted in the image, from highest brain size to body weight ratio on the left to lowest on the right (data on this was mostly gathered from Wikipedia).
Attachments
image-set.jpg

martincastro

Post by martincastro » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:50 am

Picture 21.png
Classification:

1) The first thing these photos have in common is the color. All of the photos are pretty bright colors with rich blues and distinctive colors separating the top half of the pictures from the bottom halves.

2) All of the photos have a human presence or figure in them. The photo of the cemetery has someone arm resting on the tombstone to the very left.

3) All of the photos are taken outside in the presence of nature. The sky seems to be the main portion of all these photos. They are all landscape photographs with the inclusion of a human foreground figure.

4) The photos all create a relationship between the figure in the foreground and the vastness of the background. The figure(s) gets lost in the surrounding space. Nature seems to take over since it dominantly takes up the majority of the space in the photos. It just show how small people are in the grander picture.

Organization:

I organized the images so that the common line that divides the images in half all line up. I also organized them through the color of the sky from brightest to darkest.
Picture 10.png
This is the first project I did.
Classification:
1) All the photos are in the same color family of a natural tan.
2) Each contain some sort of human mark making.
3) Each is an object that is laid flat on a surface and recorded from a perpendicular angle.
4) Each photo has a nostalgic mood to it through documentation.
Organization:
I organized them my aligning the consistent line that divides each photograph. I also organized it from loose gestural mark making to a more systematic and controlled mark making.
Last edited by martincastro on Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:17 am, edited 4 times in total.

juliakristine91

Post by juliakristine91 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:59 am

Week 4- Classification Project- Julia
artsttt130.PNG
Similarities
1. All of these have to do with wishes that people make on Dandelions. The picking of one, blowing off the petals, and then the ending of making the wish.
2. The colors are all in the same family: greens, whites, pinks. They are all very light and neutral, nothing is overpowering or has high saturation.
3. There is texture in all of these photos. The texture that the dandelions have is also in the little girls hair.
4. A sense of movement throughout these photos.

Organization
I organized these in a way to where they told a type of narrative. Each photo leads into the next and expands on the story that is being told. The story starts with the single, full Dandelion and then leads to the wish making and the blowing of the petals. Then it shows the empty dandelion and then ends at the little girl squeezing her eyes shut making a wish in her head, hoping that it comes true.

kithugstrees

Post by kithugstrees » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:22 am

I found these images by doing a long, tiring search for color coded crowds.

Classification:

1. Each picture is of a crowd. While they're not pictured here, each picture had thousands of participators.

2. Each crowd was there for a purpose. There's the religious crowd (white), a charity walk (green), a few protests and rallys (yellow, purple, red, and black) and a game crowd (orange).

3. Each crowd wore a solid color to represent the cause that they are either celebrating or fighting against.

4. Lastly, each crowd is in a specific location that was relevant to their cause, (Jena 6 protest was held in Louisiana, Red Shirt protest held in Thailand, the Purple crowd was held at a Gay Pride ceremony.)

I ordered these images in a rainbow; kind of a way to juxtapose the seriousness of the gatherers(with the exception of the orange World Cup fans) and the happy meaning behind the rainbow symbol.
color crowds.jpg

goldgills

Post by goldgills » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:30 am

Screen shot 2012-02-07 at 12.56.22 AM.png
http://rossgill.tumblr.com/post/17203346164

Classification:
1. The first attribute all of these photos have in common is their color. I decided to use the complementary colors of red and green.

2. Each photo depicts a set of pairs. The first two pictures are human pairs. Then I have the Luigi and Mario, a video game pair. A single image of a man representing a split personality, which represents an intangible pair. The last two pairs that are found are based around nature. Two parrots and a fly on a flower.

3. Each of these pictures enables the viewer to create their own narrative. I choose these pictures that gave me that particular vibe. ie. "BAhahahahahha your pouring paint on me !"

4. Each of these photos capture the two subjects with in the center, or just slightly off center of the frame.

Organization:

I firstly organized the photos based upon their pairs. So first I have the humans, then it goes into representations of humans with luigi and mario along with the split personality picture. Finally leading to animals found in nature. Second the red is depicted on the left side in the first two images, then moves to the right in the next two images. For the final images dealing with nature there is no distinction between sides.