w02 - Visual Complexity through Layers

glegrady

w02 - Visual Complexity through Layers

Post by glegrady » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:44 pm

Layers Project: Due by Tuesday, April 17, 2012
Concept due by Thursday

. 5 to 10 images
. Define a rule by which you will collect/select images (photographs found/or taken by you)
. Images can be: frames from a video, or still images
. Rule(s) creates the control
. Stack them in layers: result chance outcome
. Try many variations to explore different outcomes within the constraints of layers and your original rules
. You have to do this until you get to a point that you could not have imagined –
. You can use text, high contrast, abstract visual elements
. Go for visual complexity, don’t be afraid of ugly, transcend it to achieve some new aesthetic quality (or another way to say it: Aim for noisy but have coherence and elegance (may be hard at first

Grading:
. Effort: the more you do, the higher the grade
. Transcend your aesthetic: do something you would not normally do
. Image should have complexity, brake rules (report back what rules you have broken)

We looked at architects Herzog & De Meuron's DeYoung Museum in Golden gate Park today. See some testing of surfaces, materials, etc. at: http://www.mat.ucsb.edu/~g.legrady/rsc/hm/index.html
George Legrady
legrady@mat.ucsb.edu

givens

Alex Givens - Visual Complexity through Layers

Post by givens » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:02 pm

I used a bank of about 12 different images - 7 are schematics of circuits I've made, and 5 are classic portraits I've drawn/painted. I thus made a piece focusing more on the schematics, another focusing on the portraits, and a final piece combining the two equally. Concepts centered around a clash between digital and analog mediums.
Attachments
Traces.jpg
Trace Form
Importance.jpg
Emphasis on the Important
faces_Circuits.jpg
Analog vs. Digital

csfkul

Re: w02 - Visual Complexity through Layers

Post by csfkul » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:45 pm

I used a total of 7 images in this project. My photographs were based off of light emitting objects, which I found difficult to work with in the layering process when I got to it. It was very challenging for me to come up with something that actually somewhat made sense, but I found that to be impossible in this case and very frustrating in that matter. This was certainly a chance-based outcome, and this is what I came up with.
Attachments
Image 15.jpg
Image 14.jpg
Image 13.jpg
grayscale+bitmap; light sources as white
Image 12.jpg
Image 9.jpg
grayscale
Image 8.jpg
Image 7.jpg
grayscale
Image 5.jpg
Image 2.jpg

kendallecrawley

Post by kendallecrawley » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:47 pm

For this project I used a group of 10 images consisting of various photographs from the great barrier reef. I chose 5 photos of the great barrier reef's coral and sea life and 5 photos from areas that are now dead coral or depleting.

In my first layers composition I focused on the pictures of thriving sea life and coral reef and did several different variations:
reef1(2).jpg
reef1-2.jpg
reef1-3.jpg
In the next images, I focused on the images of dying coral reef:
reef2.jpg
reef2-2.jpg
reef2-3.jpg
Last edited by kendallecrawley on Tue May 22, 2012 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

sjh06282

Post by sjh06282 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:42 pm

For my layer project, I used United States' presidents pictures. For all 44 portraits I applied different techniques to break my rules. As I made different variations on the layers, the whole project became distorted and was difficult to figure out what the image was.

In addition to the pictures of United States' presidents, I also did aerial view of UC campuses. There are total of ten UC campuses.
Attachments
Layer3.jpg
Layer2.jpg
Layer.jpg
Last edited by sjh06282 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hnavery

Post by hnavery » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:01 pm

For this assignment I collected and combined eight aerial views of various zoos.
In the first image I adjusted the contrast and brightness of the images using levels and varied the opacities.
In the second image I changed the levels of the opacity on each of the layers and also varied the saturation of each layer.
In the third image I added noise and applied varying degrees of blurring and sharpening filters.
one.jpg
two.jpg
three.jpg

wangqian321

Post by wangqian321 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:31 pm

I used 10 images of splash in this project.And I built various layers so that the image could achieve different effects.I changed the light, contrast, blur and different layer types.
2497860_111814056_2===.jpg
sy_20100829000028388040=.jpg
Post-splash_with_droplets=.jpg
==.jpg
splash2=.jpg
Last edited by wangqian321 on Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:29 am, edited 8 times in total.

rjliang

Post by rjliang » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:22 pm

I took screenshots of Google Map's street views of every turn from my house to my high school.
Travelc.jpg
Travel.jpg
Last edited by rjliang on Thu May 17, 2012 8:42 am, edited 4 times in total.

michaeldjohnson

Post by michaeldjohnson » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:35 pm

I used 9 images of car crashes for my project. I used various layer blending options to achieve different effects, and eventually found desaturating the image to be appealing to me. I think fiddled with the curves, and brightness and contrast.
crash2.png
crash3.png
crash4.png
crash7.png

bmosborn

Post by bmosborn » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:32 pm

Here are the best results of my arranging of layers and changing styles. I used 12 pictures of different animal skulls that had the same basic composition of a head on a table. The results looked like weird still lifes. I layered them on top of eachother and changed the opacity, contrast and the different layer types photoshop offers (like color dodge, difference, hue, color burn, soft light, etc.)
Attachments
huesaturationcolorburn.jpg
colordodgeexclusion2.jpg
hue.jpg
colordodgeexclusion.jpg
opacitysaturation.jpg
softlight.jpg
opacity contrast.jpg