w02 - Visual Complexity through Layers

catherine05

Re: w02 - Visual Complexity through Layers

Post by catherine05 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:31 pm

i used 5-8 photos for each piece. They are all photos that I took in Paris pertaining to a place.
Attachments
picture5.jpg
picture4.jpg
picture3.jpg
photo1.jpg
paris2.jpg

mlen

Post by mlen » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:54 pm

For this project, I used the first 10 photographs that were taken of my friends interacting outside of Broida Hall, shortly after completing a Physics midterm.

I didn't used any Curves, and the images were not fixed to perspective either. They were layered on top of each other with layer adjustments. I used various layering techniques to get the following results:

I arranged the images using 10% increments of opacity, and then applied Multiply to alternate layers.
HW2_AlternateVividLight-Normal.png
For the following images, I reversed the order of the layers, and played with some more of the layering techniques.

I added some noise and played with Color Balance and Linear Light.
HW2_Image-Order-Switched_Noise_ColorBalance_LinearLight.png
I applied Vivid Light and Saturation.
HW2_Image-Order-Switched_Noise_ColorBalance_AlternateVividLightSaturation.png
Here's my second attempt. I rotated a few of the layers, added a couple of images with a third person in them, and changed the opacities so that they're not in increments of 10%.
HW2_SecondAttempt.png
Here's my third attempt. I selected 10 images from my set of photos taken from an afternoon in Manzanita Village and the cliffs overlooking the beach. I applied Soft Light to all of the layers, and have opacities ranging from 40-70%. I transformed a couple of the layers as well to help balance the content a bit (one corner was empty, originally). In the image, you will find some orange fencing at the top, a black trash can, a yellow fire hydrant, windows from a building, bikes, a picnic table, as well as texture from wooden planks, and textures from palm trees.
HW2_ThirdAttempt.png
I edited my third attempt to lighten the bottom right hand corner so that it's not completely black. The yellow fire hydrant became more apparent. The direction of the arrow is also changed.
HW2_ThirdAttemptEdit.png
Last edited by mlen on Tue May 01, 2012 5:40 pm, edited 13 times in total.

mandyoshi23

Post by mandyoshi23 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:54 am

original
Attachments
LayersNoise.jpg
For another option i also played around with noise
LayersBlur.jpg
For this picture i layers the same pictures but also added blur
Layers.jpg
LayersProject7.png
i redid my layers project. I took 30+ pictures of anything wine related and overlapped the layers and changed the opacity
Last edited by mandyoshi23 on Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.

karenyliu

Post by karenyliu » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:35 am

For this project, I chose to combine photos I took with diana camera, which creates very moody and interesting photos. I first built up the layers by gradually adding 5 photos to each of the first five images, then I did combination of different effects for the rest five. For combining layers, I chose to set the transparacy at 40% for each layer other than the background, so the first five images look fogy, dreamy, and blurry. For the effect, I changed various things such as contrast, saturation, exposure, fill light, blackness, color balance, coolness and warmness, color filter, noise, unsharpen mask, and different kinds of filters.

5 layers
layer1.jpg
10 layers
layer2.jpg
15 layers
layer3.jpg
20 layers
layer4.jpg
25 layers
layer5.jpg
5 layers with effect
layer6.jpg
10 layers with effect
layer7.jpg
15 layers with effect
layer8.jpg
20 layers with effect
layer9.jpg
25 layers with effect
layer10.jpg

agiel777

Post by agiel777 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:04 am

Implemented five layers with the rule that the images (save for the foreground figure) of events relating to nuclear power and disasters. Among them: The "Sarcophagus" of Reactor No. 4 at the Chernobyl NPP, the abandoned ferris wheel in nearby Pripyat, the ruins of Fukushima Daiichi plant, the Knothole-Grable nuclear test, and Nagasaki.
Attachments
epoch5.jpg
Fresco filter
epoch4.jpg
Altered contrast and Paint Daub filter
epoch4.jpg
Altered hue and increased saturation
epoch2.jpg
Neon glow filter
epoch1.jpg
Base composition

justinma1976

Post by justinma1976 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:47 am

These are images compiled using video from two A Tribe Called Quest Documentaries as well as one of Michael Jordan's foul shot dunks.

They are set at different layer opacities and offset from their original locations. Other adjustments to the image color, background color, saturation, size, etc. have also been made.

EDIT:

used many more images + more layer styles for tonal complexity
Attachments
michaeljordan2.png
update3.png
update1.png
update.png
Last edited by justinma1976 on Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

xinhuang10

Post by xinhuang10 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:33 am

For this projects, i used pictures i found of different bridges and layered them together. I tried to get the overall effect of transforming different bridge structures into a new image. Some of the layers are altered using image adjustment (color balance, contrast, opacity).
bridge4.png
bridge2.png
Bridge1.png
Last edited by xinhuang10 on Tue May 08, 2012 12:14 am, edited 5 times in total.

tikamoini

Post by tikamoini » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:35 pm

I used a series of 7 images that I took of the winter holiday window displays in the Printemps departments stores in Paris, France. They were a series of displays each relating to a different region, style, and character. I put them together to create a unified collection of these depictions of different places.
Attachments
1.jpg
IMGP5579.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg