w03 - Beyond the Rectangle

glegrady

w03 - Beyond the Rectangle

Post by glegrady » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:45 pm

Create a visual assemblage of many photographs whose form is determined by the subject you have photographers. Our three artist references are:

Sculptor Gordon Matta-Clark who cuts buildings but then creates photographic assemblages where he organizes the photographs guided by the subject matter
Painter David Hockney who does the same and likes to overlay images so that the images' points of views dont quite line up
John Baldessari who created some projects where he organizes images according to lining up elements in various images done also according to the subject matter but in a formal way rather then literal connecting.

Project purpose: To get beyond the camera's imposition of the rectangular frame. Instead of creating the composition by framing subject matter, in this project's case, the subject matter determines the organization of the image.

Rule: Create a project that explores the boundaries of order and randomness meet, and meanwhile make a strong aesthetic expression. (I can explain further in class)
George Legrady
legrady@mat.ucsb.edu

hnavery

Re: w03 - Beyond the Rectangle

Post by hnavery » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:17 pm

I created these images by lining of various elements of the photographs.

This set was created by attempting to connect various lines and curves in each of the images.
collageproject1.jpg

Each photo in this set contains round objects.
collage2.jpg
Each photo in this set involves liquids or liquid containers.
collage3.jpg

brenna.osborn1

Post by brenna.osborn1 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:52 am

I chose to take panoramic pictures of a room and represent them in different ways. I don't think the first image was very successful - I decided to line them up by where the wall meets the ceiling. For the second image I decided to show two people sitting back to back in a room in one flat image.
circle.jpg
playing.jpg

sjh06282

Post by sjh06282 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:37 pm

My project is based on following the line of certain part of the picture, but it ended up leading to one another. The second picture is hallway taken at library, campus, and apartment.
Attachments
Mapping2.jpg
Mapping.jpg
Last edited by sjh06282 on Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

wangqian321

Post by wangqian321 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:52 pm

In the project I created two images. For the first one, I assembled a composition from images I took of buildings and trees. I hope these images could help the scene of the image in the center to extend. For the second one, I’m trying to create a “tree” composed by several different images, and the lines and curves of these images could connect. And as a result, the tree shares the similar shape with the dandelion in front of it.
拼贴 small .jpg
tree-1.jpg

rjliang

Post by rjliang » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:06 pm

This image contains pictures of a variety of mannequins that I see nearly every day at the hemp shop that I work at.
Mannequin.jpg
This image contains pictures of food that I've eaten in the past month.
Food.jpg

csfkul

Post by csfkul » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:19 pm

I created three different compositions. One is of the details of rocks and trees. Another one is of a fountain, where I wanted to capture the essence of movement and time with the water shooting up. The last one is a static structure that consisted of very view color variations.
Attachments
Combination.jpg
A combination of two different areas.
Fountain.jpg
Structure.jpg
Map of few color variations.
Library.jpg
Map the texture of the trees and bushes.
Last edited by csfkul on Thu May 03, 2012 8:58 am, edited 3 times in total.

michaeldjohnson

Post by michaeldjohnson » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:26 pm

I've collaged dozens of photographs of a building. The photographs make up a map of the multiple facades. In the first image, all photographs are set to 30% opacity. In the second image, all images are 100% opacity, and blend together through using the "lighten" layer blending option.
building5.png
building4.png

givens

Alex Givens - Beyond the Rectangle

Post by givens » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:52 pm

The collaged images were taken of an art installation at the Coachella Music Festival. The imagery across the surface of the archway was constantly shifting, so I took pictures at three different times throughout an evening to capture the evolving nature the effects. The first image is a straightforward attempt at reconstructing a view of the arch. The second piece is a deconstruction of the forms of the arch to create a new shape. The third piece is something I created for fun centered around typographic form.
Attachments
Archway.jpg
snake.jpg
CobainQuote.jpg

justinma1976

Post by justinma1976 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:57 pm

This contains images taken at the peak of a mountain in the French Alps.
The middle picture is of the pure sky containing a hawk while the surrounding images
are of the land masses.
I meant for the land masses to 'contain' the open sky above, connecting sky to sky and using the mountains
to isolate the center.
Attachments
frenchalps.png