w06 - Time, Depth Space

glegrady

w06 - Time, Depth Space

Post by glegrady » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:45 pm

Everytime we take a photo we record a moment out of time, and flatten 3D space. This assignment is intended to consciously explore this process. Create an image or more that explores the intersection of time, depth, space. Your project can exist in one image using layers or any other relevant Photoshop function. Or it can exist as a sequence of images. Be ready to describe to the class what your ideas are in the creation of your project.

The bauhaus artist/painter/photographer Moholy-Nagy came up with an interesting solution: http://0.tqn.com/d/arthistory/1/0/s/u/b ... _09_22.jpg
George Legrady
legrady@mat.ucsb.edu

mlen

Re: w06 - Time, Depth, Space

Post by mlen » Mon May 14, 2012 7:18 am

I had a lot of trouble with this project. I decided to randomly record footage of my workplace using my Apply iPod Touch. I took a 37 second video file, and opened it into Adobe Photoshop. I switched the Photoshop workspace to Motion, and when I played the video, it was really slow. I converted the Timeline format into frames using the option Flatten Frames Into Layers. After about half an hour of waiting, the process finished, and I ended up with 1114 layers. Then, I selected Convert to Frame Animation. Seeing that 1114 layers was a bit too much to work with, I made it so that I would merge every 50 layers, so I ended up with Layer 50, 100, 150, etc. It was about 22 layers at the end. Using the Animation Tab, I made 24 frames, and made 1 layer visible per frame. Then, I saved the file using Save for Web & Devices... to save the file as a .gif and also selected Loop Forever so that the .gif would play continuously, and the .gif was saved using the Bicubic quality.

Here is the plain .gif.
Something.gif
I found out that you could use the various image adjustment masks that applied to the entire video clip/gif file. Here's an edit made turning the image into Black and White.
Something1.gif
I added the Invert adjustment to the Black and White .gif just for fun.
Something4.gif
I took each frame, and made the visible layer a Soft Light blending option, and made the layer beneath that visible as well. I thought it came out pretty cool.
Something3.gif
And here it is in color with the Soft Light blending from above.
Something5.gif
Edit:
I feel that these gifs relate to Time, Depth, and Space because the frames from the gifs were taken from a video. Only certain 20 something frames from that video were kept out of 1114. It's kinda like how time is always moving, and you take X amount of pictures, which are "frames" of your memory. As for depth, a video is a 2D representation of a 3D space, and I took this 2D video, and made it spin along the Z axis, so to speak. And the space was a computer lab.

Edit
Because I didn't illustrate the concept of "depth" enough, I decided to try the project again, but with different subject matter. Here are a few .gifs taken from the lecture hall TD 1701.

Here is the first .gif with Vibrance, Brightness Contrast, Hue Saturation, and Photofilter adjustments using masks.
TD1701.gif
This .gif uses Soft Light in the same way that I did the first set of .gifs with.
TD17011.gif
For more emphasis on the depth aspect, I made the .gif black and white, and then prolonged the frames that contained the images I wanted the viewer to note, such as what the camera was focusing.
TD17012.gif
Last edited by mlen on Mon May 14, 2012 11:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rjliang

Re: w06 - Time, Depth Space

Post by rjliang » Mon May 14, 2012 8:07 pm

For this project, I decided to explore the functionality of a scanner in order to attempt to represent the theme of time, depth and space.

Hands
SCAN0050.jpg
Hand
SCAN0049.jpg
Lights
SCAN0053.jpg
Face
SCAN0056.jpg
Hair
SCAN0055.jpg

catherine05

Post by catherine05 » Mon May 14, 2012 8:50 pm

I used animation tool on photoshop and used layers to make different effects.
Attachments
DSC_0265.gif
DSC_0266.jpg
Last edited by catherine05 on Tue May 22, 2012 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

csfkul

Post by csfkul » Mon May 14, 2012 8:53 pm

For this project, I experimented with the light changes that happen through time, as seen in the door images. The door images had a photoset of 16 images, while the book had a photoset of 60 images. I put them both into layers and decreased the opacity to 40%. I also put both of them into the animation aspect of photoshop to see the movement of the photos after one another. I used the continuous function on my camera to take the photos of the book. I went back and forth to move the door and took single shots for the photos of the door.
Attachments
time1.jpg
layers with opacity
time2.gif
animation
time3.jpg
layers with opacity
time4.jpg
time5.gif
animation
Last edited by csfkul on Tue May 15, 2012 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

justinma1976

Post by justinma1976 » Mon May 14, 2012 8:57 pm

Effect created by moving the camera while the shutter is closing

effect made my layering images of me spinning in my chair to emulate a sense of time and motion
Attachments
weirdme.png
justinphoto2.jpeg
justinphoto1.jpeg
Last edited by justinma1976 on Tue May 15, 2012 2:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

michaeldjohnson

Post by michaeldjohnson » Mon May 14, 2012 8:58 pm

I used the scanner in the assignment as well, and focused more on the unique way it captures depth.
20120512-time2.png
portrait 1
20120512-time8.png
portrait 2
20120512-time6.png
ink in a glass bowl of water

hnavery

Post by hnavery » Mon May 14, 2012 9:03 pm

I explored time and space through the idea of perception. Time and space are all relative so I tried to capture different points of view in one image.

I took a picture every couple of seconds as I walked out my front door, through my front yard, turned around, and walked back to the door.
I had 18 images which I layered by varying the opacity and randomly adjusting the colors and saturation for each layer. The top layers have the lowest opacity and bottom layers have the highest.

For this one, the layers in which I'm returning to my front door are on top.
timespaceone.jpg
For this one, the layers in which I'm leaving my front door are on top.
timespacetwo.jpg
This is the same as the above image except it is in grayscale and I adjusted the levels to add more contrast.
timespacetwogray.jpg
In this one, I placed the top two images side by side to see how that changed the perception of the images.
timespacetogether.jpg

givens

Post by givens » Mon May 14, 2012 9:09 pm

I explored time in the sense of long exposure (about 10-15 seconds) and depth/space by pulling focus in and out of an abstract scene. The images were created with the liquid interiors of blue and green glowsticks, slowly poured down the side of a toilet bowl. The long exposure captures the dripping material as bubbles move towards the center of the bowl. I also played with Actions again because I now find this to be an invaluable tool for photo editing.
Attachments
DSC_0142.jpg
DSC_0111 (1).jpg
DSC_0141 - Version 2.jpg
DSC_0096.jpg
DSC_0109.jpg
Last edited by givens on Tue May 15, 2012 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

kendallecrawley

Post by kendallecrawley » Mon May 14, 2012 9:52 pm

I used the timeline tool in photoshop to make 3 short animated videos from a series of pictures. The first are images from a plane ride, the second set are pictures of my mom running and the last are pictures of my dog.
Untitled-2.gif
Untitled-3.gif
Untitled-4.gif