w10 - Final Project

brenna.osborn1

Re: w10 - Final Project

Post by brenna.osborn1 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:55 pm

For my project I decided to expand on my Time project by exploring the use of people as objects to move in a stop motion. This method is called pixelation and I enjoyed using it because the end result looks as if a person can either fly, drive, or slide about the ground as if it was ice. I decided to use AfterEffects for this project because I've never used AfterEffects for a stop motion before. The process is simple but can get complicated if you aren't organized. You first have to order the images in the order that you want them to appear in the sequence, then you import them into AfterEffects. You change the Composition Settings to be 1 or 2 frames long (however long you want each image to appear for - i did 2 frames) and then drag the images down to the timeline. After they are all in there, you figure out how long your animation will be using the images you have (I did # of images x 2 frames = # of frames of the new composition) and change it to that length in the composition settings. Then select all images using Shift+Click, go to Animation>Keyframe Assistant and select Sequence Layers. Make sure "Overlap" is not selected and then press OK. This should create a timeline where your images follow after one another. I created different compositions of each section of animation and then combined them on a main composition level. After I was done, I exported and voila! Animation!

https://vimeo.com/43858327

mlen

Post by mlen » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:04 pm

For my project, I decided to expand on the Noise/Blur project by creating a work in After Effects. I took a series of roughly 17 photos at night, around 1am, walking from Manzanita Village to the parking structure across from the SRB, Lot 22. At the top of Lot 22, the 5th floor, I recorded some footage looking out, and recorded footage on the lower floors and ground floor as well. I explored the blurring and fading out effect in time to see if I can invoke emotion throughout this project. The intent behind this piece was to show how these effects, along with camera movement, as well as sound can create an emotional piece.

http://youtu.be/A2gmoW_XTP4

Edit:
All sound content used was from http://www.freesound.org
Last edited by mlen on Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kendallecrawley

Post by kendallecrawley » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:27 pm

For my final project, I expanded on both the noise/blur distortion project and the time project. I created a video in the timeline feature of photoshop comprised of 34 frames. Each photograph was taken of the same person making a normal face but with her head in different positions. I then distorted each image using noise and the different distortion filters in photoshop, as well as changed the brightness and contrast. I then compiled the distorted images in timeline making it look like she is making funny faces, although she posed with a normal expression while the photos were taken.

https://vimeo.com/43881035

xinhuang10

Post by xinhuang10 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:22 am

For my final project, i combined both elements of photoshop and after effects. In photoshop, i changed the images by using levels, brightness/contrast, noise, and blur. As for previous projects, i tried to combine some of these technics that were interesting like layering and pixelating noise. I used three shapes representing RGB colors, and shifted them around for the different images. Going back to the tennis layering piece, i felt that a drastic difference in color adds to the effect of layering. So for this piece, i wanted a video that had an image that was layered and with an addition vibe. The animation is represented by the movement of the three different shapes. Although, it doesn't transition through movement of one layer, I think the different between the frames is most interesting. I wanted to use the library and book shelves as a place that someone can picture themselves walking through. Each transitional frame should represent a different motion or movement. I used after effects to combine the frames together and adjust the composition. The pictures were taken on as i was walking, so some of the frames are not exactly aligned.

color imaging:
https://vimeo.com/43909332
Last edited by xinhuang10 on Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:35 am, edited 3 times in total.

karenyliu

Post by karenyliu » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:06 am

For my project, I decided to extend the layer project. So I chose photos of masquerade to make distortion to each different layers and combined them together. At the end, I used eraser and deletion to hide parts of the final photo combination I came up with, and put them into a gif file with moving frames. For the background layer on the final gif file, I had 15 different layers all with different effects such as color changing, filters, blur, contrast...and so on. And for the parts I put on the background, I did effect to them too so somehow they look like transforming into the next image. For this project, I had a 15 images to make the background layer, and a total of 13 frames on the final gif image.

the background layer ended up like this
frame.JPG
and here's some images from the moving frames:
frame (3).JPG
frame (6).JPG
frame (8).JPG
frame (9).JPG
And after all, here my final moving frames:
FINAL-KAREN.gif

agiel777

Post by agiel777 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:29 am

For my final project I worked with Photoshop on a theme I've taken to calling "The Fog of War." Using the tools available, I sought to bring out and accentuate the narratives told by images of conflicts of the 20th century.

The first image is of the Joint Security Area of the Korean Demilitarised Zone in the border village of Panmunjom. in this bizarre scene, ROK and KPA guards stand face to face. On the ROK side, guards standing watch are required to be at least 177cm (approx. 5'10") in height and be a black belt in Taekwundo or Judo. On the KPA side, only the most decorated, loyal, and well-groomed of North Korean officers stand watch. Between them is the military demarcation line that bisects the buildings in which peace talks between the two Koreas are conducted. This is due to the fact that the Six Two Five War (what the Korean War is referred to in Korea) is still technically ongoing. While ordinary citizens on both sides of the DMZ yearn for a unified Korean peninsula free from foreign influence, the fact that the two major powers with stakes in the region, the PRC and the United States, have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo, conspires to keep them separate.

The second image depicts the oil fires that permeated the landscape of Kuwait and Iraq during the first Gulf War. Retreating from the onslaught of coalition armoured cavalry and close air support, Saddam Hussein ordered his withdrawing forces to set the oil wells ablaze in a campaign of scorched earth in every sense of the term. In the original image, the fire emitted from a source slightly to the left of the woman in the image. Using the spot healing and blur tool, I was able to create a compositions I felt to be more compelling. One image, "Tongues of Fire," refers to a biblical passage in which the men and women in a house of prayer were seen with the Holy Spirit, Spiritu Sancto, was visible above their heads in the form of a small flame.

The next image depicts the aftermath of the massacre of Palestinian refugees at the Sabra and Shatila refugee camps during the Civil War in Lebanon, circa 1982, in which Christian Phalangists with the tacit approval and even support of IDF troops raided the camps in retaliation for the assassination of then president of Lebanon, Bashir Gemayel. As I have family who were personally affected by a military occupation (my grandmother lived in Guangzhou during the Japanese occupation in the Second World War), the Israel/Palestine issue is one I am particularly invested in. The events that transpired are chronicled in the superb Israeli animated film, "Waltz with Bashir."

The fourth image to me embodies the theme of this project, which depicts the execution of a Vietcong officer by the then chief of National Police in South Vietnam. While at face value it seems to be a callous act of spite against a helpless man, the photo doesn't tell the whole story: The man being executed was the captain of a Vietcong execution squad responsible for the brutal murder of a South Vietnamese police lieutenant who was close friends with the police chief and his family. This touches on the issue of the existence (or disproving) of objective morality. We like to think of the Adolf Hitlers, Curtis LeMays, and Saddam Husseins of our history as so alien in terms of the scale of their crimes to the point that they become caricatures whose actions were only statistical flukes that it blinds us to the fact that their actions were perfectly justifiable in their eyes, that in dismissing that fact we only tempt fate and allow figures like them to rise again. To this, Robert McNamara, Secretary of Defense under Kennedy and Johnson has said: "Human beings are rational, but rationality has its limits."
Attachments
Thefogofwar.jpg
The Fog of War
pushedtothesideline.jpg
Pushed to the Sideline
Tonguesoffire.jpg
Tongues of Fire
Theburningearth2.jpg
The Burning Earth
DMZ_JSA.jpg
DMZ/JSA

mandyoshi23

Post by mandyoshi23 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:47 am

For this project I decided to work with After Effects. I made a short video from 3 photographs. In After Effects I made each photo fade in and out using the opacity and keystones. For each video I tried to use pictures that had a similar theme. The first is action, composition, then color. I had a hard time rendering each video and uploading it on Vimeo.