Wk05 - Elings Open House OR Review Assigned Paper

rosadiaz

Re: Wk05 - Elings Open House OR Review Assigned Paper

Post by rosadiaz » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:42 pm

Photography was thought to be only focused as a scientific tool but soon it reached an artistic approach. Gabriel Peters brings to the reader a new lens to view photography. With the use of color, form, spatial organization, motion, depth and the human body a photo can be read in different angles, emotions and depth. New meaning and perspective is drawn that was not there before or further developed upon.
In Color Peters touches upon minimizing the amount of color or having a minimal amount of colors while having a powerful focus throughout the frame. Complimentary colors, monochromaticity and black and white tones draw the viewer as it is pleasant to the eyes. In movies complimentary colors are heavily exploited, the teal and orange rage is all across twenty first century films. Can you spot the similarities within these images?

Not many people can say they spotted this off the bat when watching a movie. But once a person reads the blog post a person cannot ‘unsee’ what has happened to cinema. The use of complimentary colors is a key point to making almost all images pleasing and interesting. It’s not something that should be condemned; it’s actually a great way to make a film strikingly beautiful and rich in color. Such as The Fall containing vivid colors without abusing the teal and orange.

Color and form meshes together to construct a photograph that is visually stunning among the rest of the film. The use of perspective (form) using the archway to draw in the viewer to this poised battle ready Indian with rich green colors. The monochromaticity of the picture is engaging and rich, and not heavily drenched in the same color but a variety of green. Clear perspective allows for as Peters says it “appeals favorably to our visual system.”

Spatial Organization is also seen in The Fall the viewer is overwhelmed by this vast beauty of the orange colored desert and black little figures. The space in the picture is not dedicated to the small dark figures but the vast desert. A singular stoic line of light yellow color crosses the lower plane of the picture only reinforces the thought of organization put into the scene/shot.

To momentarily step away from the movie scene, motion in photography has evolved where the use of light is a great tool to capture the movement of something or someone. Trevor Williams uses light painting and night photography to create depth of space of light that was once there. The viewer can now see the motion which light was used and manipulated to create a certain object or a beautiful photo. It contains Blur, the indication of movement, and Distinct motion Phases, the number of motions in one single image is quite high in light painting as it captures the movement of the hand (or tool used) with the light source.

Depth is one of the many ways photography has been greatly enhanced and is seen in almost all photography. The sense of importance is visually highlighted as a certain person or object is crisp and clear while everything else is usually out of focus or blurry. The viewer is then capable of knowing where there attention is supposed to be grabbed. It‘s not to be overly used or heavily depended on since light and shadows and/or linear perspectives can play a role in a photograph to bring in the viewer. The image below captures Autumn colors—a pallet of yellow, orange and brown—complimented by a one point perspective made by the trees. This visually stimulates the gaze of the viewer. The trees and foliage in the middle is the sharpness of the picture while everything else is unsharp/blur. This aesthetic contrast stimulates the viewer’s senses to focus on the specified area.

The Human Body in itself is a great form for photo manipulation or to capture movement. The body is flexible and able to move in different ways from normal to abstract. In the gif below a person cannot clearly see the human figure but a person can tell it is human for the arms and flowing hair is visible to the viewer. These clues give to the viewer that it is human after all. The beauty of the fabric movement and air movement submerges the human body into a different form and environment. It’s as if the figure is no longer human but another being as a spirit or deity easily defying gravity.

Images in the end moving or non-moving are always stimulating and adapting to the new technology of the era. Without color, depth, motion, perspective and the human body photography would not have been able to grow from where it once stood.

Sources:

The Abyss Gazes – Teal and Blue
The Fall
Trevor Williams
Last edited by rosadiaz on Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

slpark

Post by slpark » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:41 pm

I went to the MAT Open House in Elings and saw the exhibit "Allosphere and Friends - Visualizing the Future." Though my group was a little bit rushed because it was later in the evening, the hosts were able to show us most of their demonstrations. This included the 3-Dimensional inside of a brain, a view of Earth, and "animals" that represented some of the participants in the exhibition that ate other creatures that were also on the screen.
I had never heard of the Allosphere prior to this exhibit, and after doing some research on it I quickly became extremely excited to see it for myself. The Allosphere was designed by Joann Kuchera-Morin, a Professor at UCSB, and since then has developed into a collaboration between a group of scientists and engineers from UCSB as well as UCI. The Allosphere is an all immersive environment that combines science, sound, and art to give the viewer a completely 3-D, realistic simulation/experience. I felt fully immersed in the 3-dimensional environment, and even got a little bit dizzy from all of the shapes that appeared to be flying straight towards me. The Brain video, for example, allowed my group to stand within a human brain and see different reactions within it. The cells were color and sound-coded, making them easy to distinguish and track. This particular demonstration was the most inspiring and exciting to me. Not only were the geometric forms of the brain amazing, but the possibilities for further development in the medical and scientific field seemed endless. What if one day a doctor could stand inside a patients brain to better cure them of an illness or disease? Or even a psychologist?
In addition to the Allosphere, I walked around the halls and viewed the various works of art-science image hybrids. They were images that were created by mapping various data sets, and the end result created beautiful, colorful geometric shapes. As someone who has always had an aversion to all sciences and math, I thought it was really cool and inspiring to see the two seemingly "opposite" fields connected together. I've included photos of the ones that I particularly thought were beautiful below.

aleforae

Post by aleforae » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:06 pm

Christin Nolasco - Report on Elings Open House

Last weekend I attended the Elings Open House and was able to see Marcos Novak's drone and the Allosphere. The drone itself was designed with a sensor-system and would alternate between wasp and bee noises depending on the particular mode it was in. The drone would then fly around this inflatable parachute-like sculpture (it was already pre-assigned data which would dictate the sculpture's movements) in an effort to maneuver its way around the obstacles presented by the sculpture inflating. The concept behind this piece was largely inspired by the tsunami disaster in Japan that occurred in 2011. Thus, the inflatable sculpture was meant to simulate tsunami waves while the drone was meant to simulate the helicopters flying around at that time. At times, the drone would fly into the sculpture and fall. Though seemingly a flaw in the design, this was actually purposefully allowed by Novak in order to simulate something more real and demonstrate what would happen if a helicopter crashed into a wave. Afterwards, the drone would have to be moved or picked back up so that it could restart itself.

The second and final piece I was able to see was the Allosphere, where JoAnn Kuchera-Morin walked us through what the piece does. The Allosphere is a dome-shaped structure that requires viewers to go inside and wear 3D glasses. Inside the dome, there are multiple projectors that form one large projection around the dome. One of the main purposes of the Allosphere is to provide realistic simulations. The first demo I saw illustrated one of the staff member's brain functions and certain parts of his brain would change colors or shape according to how he was feeling. For example, they stated that if he went into a meditative state, either green or fuchsia pieces would become more prevalent. One of the other demos I saw illustrated a simulation of life through bacteria/parasite-like organisms. There were smaller organisms that would reproduce at a high rate, but they would also be preyed upon by these large parasitic-like creatures. And finally, my tour of the Allosphere ended with a presentation of the globe from an inside-out perspective, almost as if viewers were looking at Earth from the inside. I think that seeing such realistic simulations has great potential to solve real issues, such as medical or geographic, because it allows users to see a concrete representation of what they need to look at up close and incorporates actual data. The only criticism I have is that I thought the Allosphere would be more 3Dimensional.

Both pieces blurred the line between art and science, as many MAT pieces do. It is this combination of the two fields that allows for such logical yet aesthetically-appealing pieces.

Allosphere: A simulation of life through bacteria/parasite-like organisms.

Allosphere: A still of someone's actual brain data.

Sources:
http://www.nsf.gov/news/mmg/media/image ... ere4_f.jpg
http://static.atlasobscura.netdna-cdn.c ... deshow.jpg

samibohn

Post by samibohn » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:24 pm

This week I visited the open house at the MAT Labs.

As always, my favorite part of the experience was visiting the Allosphere. This was my second time inside the Allosphere, but last time there where still a couple holes in the projection above your head, and this time the projection was seamless (for the programs that were designed to be so). The program that most enchanted me is the Allobrain. Technically this program explores brainwaves, but the actual experience is almost more mystical than it is scientific. I feel like I'm visiting an alien planet, watching creatures moving through the air that are beyond our ability to understand. I thought it was even more creative and mind-boggling than the actual program that was supposed to simulate alien life, which is called "Time of Doubles". Though what I did really like about that program was that the Allosphere detects presence on the bridge, and translates that into yellow energy for the beetle-creatures to consume. In this way, we are feeling the creatures and becoming part of the ecosystem. I look forward to revisting the Allosphere again to see the new programs they come up with, especially the progress of their globe projection, which was also an impressive experience even without 3D or zoom functionality up and running yet.

Here is a still of the Allobrain:

The other MAT Labs I visited were for the Gibber Program, The Experimental Visualization Lab, and the transLab.

Gibber is a website by Charlie Roberts at http://charlie-roberts.com/gibber/. In his presentation he showed us how he could play different drum sounds by typing in the right code, and that code would then repeat the same beats endlessly. He could set it to repeat a certain number of times, or add special sound effects with further code. Since he can add all kinds of instruments the coding must be time consuming to learn, but once you have it down you can create entire orchestras of music, all through this one website program.

The Experimental Visualization Lab had three different projects shown. The first was a visualization of library check out data (from Seattle) that I didn't spent much time with as it is meant to be an interactive projection. It was a video which was beautiful to watch but not interactive or understandable with somebody to explain it to you. I would be eager to see this projected in the Allosphere, with check out dates arching over my head like rainbows. The second project was a comparative documention of the Cree and James Bay in 1973 and the present day. This included photographs and recent videos. I especially enjoyed the old photographs with the traditional imagery, and I thought it was really sad to see how much the Cree have changed as a people, particularly the increase in obesity. I love how the old ladies wear Scottish kilts and caps. The third project was an interaction between three cameras, projected onto four screens. One camera looked for the brightest spot in the room, which kept changing, one camera looked for angles, and one camera's function was too complicated for the presenter to explain sufficiently. The four screen was a combined view of all cameras. The camera that looked for angles was particularely fascinated with Amber's checkered bag, and kept zooming in further and further to watch it. This gave the cameras a feeling of personality, as if they were curious and searching, that I liked. I look forward to seeing this project progress as well.

Before leaving I stopped into the transLab, where a small hovercraft was soaring around at the direction of Marcus Novak. I watched for a few minutes but no presentation or explanation was being given at the time (I must have just missed it). After leaving the Allosphere where I had visited an alien planet, watching this device float effortlessly in the air only intensified my feeling of surrealism. I was amazed by everything I saw at the MAT open labs.

sidrockafello

Post by sidrockafello » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:34 am

-Sid

Right off the bat when I entered the MAT labs I walked towards a calling melody in the air, like a drunken sailor to a siren. Around the corner, down a small hallway, there was a calming tune played through the acoustics of a flute. Inside the room straight ahead was where the music was coming from, as I inched closer the music evolved into a sounds of emotion, and movement. I look inside and there I see Marcos Novak’s Parrot Drone 2.0 in flight. The initial visuals of the performance was enticing, it kept my senses at their peak for I did not want to miss a second of this Tango with technology. The piece was an interaction between man and machine, both moving with extreme grace and flexibility as the drone would fan the dancing flutist, he would bend at the waist and twirl as if to be Ballroom Dancing with another. The interaction between the two seemed organic and symbiotic, as the dancer would be in motion the Drone would follow softly as if an invisible pillow created a barrier between the two. The dancer would at time move closer teasing the Drone giving the appearance that the Drone can see and react to the presence of subjects in real-time, in the real-world. There was a parachute lied out across the ground which I believed to add to the visual presentation and coolness. What I was curious about was how this Drone was being controlled? No motion sensors or cameras could be seen from my perspective; however that may not mean there was none. I have seen a few UAV’s and the parrot drone has to be one of the more unique styles of approaching unmanned aircrafts. What I took away from this experiment was the realm of possibilities that would be possible from the enhancements they made to the Drone, and possibly what has not been done yet. For example, if drones can detect the presence of a person, then navigation through cities for deliveries, construction, surveillance, among many more things could be possible. Another experiment I did see and found fascinating that was not at MAT, but is the same realm of technology was these Nano Quadrotors. The Quadrotors are much like the Parrot Drone except smaller, and with different applications installed in them that allow for some incredibly intricate flight patterns; however they are none the less as impressive as the Parrot Drone.

http://youtu.be/YQIMGV5vtd4

The Allosphere, on the other hand, is a modern marvel that feels awesome saying “only available at UCSB” because with advanced workings like this, who wouldn’t feel awesome that this is at their school? Speaking of Marvel, the first rush of adrenaline hit me like an optic blast from Cyclops when I walked into the Allosphere and realized, I am in a real-life CEREBRO! For those who may not know who the X-Men are, within the Mansion that they live in is a device known as Cerebro. Cerebro was used by Charles Xavier, a psychic mutant, to locate humans and mutants alike throughout the globe. Cerebro was always depicted in the comics as a sphere with metal plates covering the inside, as well as having a nice walkway to the center of the sphere. With this is mind I could not stop myself from wandering into a day-dream; it was all too surreal being in the Allosphere. About ten minutes goes by as team of artists and engineers are firing up the computers and projectors, and I am super stoked to see the Allosphere go to work. Okay there is now six projectors lit up and the team instructs us to put on our glasses and enjoy the ride as we enter an MRi scan of someone’s brain. The visuals right off the bat was incredible, especially how the dimensions where made to look so intense and immersing. The explanation of what we were looking at made some sense, yet a lack of knowledge of what I was looking at did not hinder me from totally loving the visual display and construction of this virtual realm. To the left and right, up and down, now look all around all at once, watch as the wall passes through you and continues down to the other end of the sphere, don’t blink or you’ll miss the fast paced gems floating about collecting data! All of this was rushing through my mind trying to take in all I can at once. The experience was over just as quickly as it began, but it had to be one of the most inspiring displays of human ingenuity that I have ever seen. I can’t wait to see what in store for the future.

ashleyf

Post by ashleyf » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:47 pm

Gabriele Peters described six dimensions of the human visual system which include these aesthetics: color, form, special organization, motion, depth and human body. These are all different forms that we use for visualization. These all shaped how we view photography.

For color, Peters describes that there should only be a few dominant colors. Peters describes that less is more and two or three colors are more appealing to the human eye. Also, Peters describes that the colors should correspond to the picture and shouldnt contain misleading information. Complementary colors are stronger and more pleasing to look at.

In the photo above, the complementary colors Red and green are seen in this photo. In the words of Peters, he describes the complementary colors as ‘reinforcing themselves mutually in their luminance’. Peters also says that “The most beautiful effect often is achieved if the complementary colors are the only strong colors.”

In the context of form, provides the information necessary for survival. Form uses shapes, silhouettes, lines and shadows to help the viewer determine what form or item it is.

In the picture above we can see some silhouettes of different forms. From the different silhouettes we can tell what kind of animal it is, and where the foreground ends we can also see that there is some small shrubs or bushes even though there is nothing that gives away the distinct forms.

Spatial organization is key in photographs because if there is too many elements the viewer can get confused easily. The same thing if there were too many details in an image. The viewer wont be able to focus on one element. Peters quoted “Feininger argued that clarity and simplicity of spatial organization is the silver bullet for an aesthetic image.” This explains that organization is key. However by using the golden mean, the viewer would be able to see a symmetric image which can appear to be boring and static. Texture and pattern, repetition and variation are all important for the spatial organization. For visual aspects, the shapes that are involved in each of those elements make the aesthetics look good. As seen in the picture below, the spatial organization makes the photo more appealing to look at.
Motion in photography is easily seen through blur which is an unsharpness in a direction. Viewers are easily able to see motion in a photo because of the movement. As seen in the image below, the viewer can see the motion of the ride, through the blur in the background. The viewer can feel through the photograph that the ride is moving in a circular motion to the left.
Depth can be seen through many techniques: variation of sizes of objects, overlapping objects, and placing objects in different horizons. Depth is easily shown in landscapes where the linear lines go toward a similar location but the sizing of surrounding objects and the sharpness and unsharpness of lines. Also lights and shadows give us depth. The picture below gives us a good mixture of the linear usage and the shadows of lights and darks.
Lastly, the human body is a good way to convey movement. The human body is easily recognized in any of the forms listed above. As seen in the picture below, the human body isn't easily recognized and but the form of it can give clues that it is a human form moving.

kevinalcantar

Post by kevinalcantar » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:25 pm

I chose to attend the Elings Open House last Wednesday October 24th. I arrived later on in the day due to schedule conflicts but the first exhibition I saw was Marcos Novak's drone in the Translab.

The drone was capable of detecting obstacles and objects in its environment and alter its flight path in order to avoid crashing into them. The drone, which was fairly small in size and had four turbines that allowed it to fly, was perched on a small landing pad in the middle of a giant green parachute. Because my friend and I arrived to the demonstration near the end of its completion, we weren't able to see the drone in flight. However, Marcos Novak's assistant described to us the challenges in operating this drone, particularly in a gallery setting where the drone would have to be charged very frequently and be constantly attended to.

The next exhibition we attended was the Experimental Visualization Lab with George Legrady, along with Andres Burbano and other MAT students. The first project that was shown was the library database visualization project. In this project, book check out data is collected by the hour and stored into separate literary categories. This project takes place in the Seattle Public Library and has been going on for the past couple years. Legrady's work deals mostly with how communities of people act in groups. This is also exemplified by the second project exhibitied which was Professor Legrady's work with the James Bay Cree Nation in 1973. Along with Andres Burbano, Professor Legrady returned to James Bay this past summer to study how people there have changed since his initial visit and how they have acclimated to modern life. At this point in the presentation, I had to leave to make an important call to home.

Upon returning, the rest of the group and I were eventually shown into the Allosphere, an immense sphere with 3D imaging capabilities. Standing on the bridge of the Allosphere and wearing 3D glasses, it is easy to get completely immersed in the environment, specially when the Allosphere projected the MRI of the brain all around us. After demonstrating the the MRI of the brain and the Allosphere's ability to project all around the spectator, we were shown a projection of the globe. It was as if the skin of the globe was peeled off and pasted on the sphere's walls. It was great to see and it really demonstrates some of the potential artistic and scientific uses for the Allosphere.

jaehakshin

Post by jaehakshin » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:29 pm

Review Assigned Paper

Images are used to attract people and to suggest that they are what the user want. The biggest advantage of the images is that they can be understood by anyone. By attracting people, it unconsciously makes people to interact. Words and numbers cannot replace images but images can replace words and numbers. Compared to words and letters, images are more complicated. People think before they take pictures because their images need to represent the object that they want to present.
lohp_bigbg_3.jpg
People who are illiterate, babies, and those who are deaf may not know the name of the image they are seeing, but if they have seen birds outside, they will know what they are seeing within the image.

By examining the human brain, we can find out which characteristics of human enhances the aesthetic experience. Those characteristics are called aesthetic primitives. Based on the scientific research we can understand how we see images. The visual information is carried along optic pathway to the primary visual cortex (V1). Information consists of color, motion, form, and depth get stored in V1. The brain separately processes each information. However, despite the fact that they are being processed in different parts of the brain, color is perceived first then form, then motion.
Brain5.jpg
The primary visual cortex is located back of the brain.

Depth and spatial organization are also part of image. They are categorized as visual perception. People feel differently when they see an image because of visual perception. Since different parts of the brain process different aspects of an image, the image is less likely to be completely damaged.
BeckerBuilding-Jul08-009a.jpg
Buildings are great examples of how people see depth and spatial organization of an image.

The visual pleasure comes from the colors of the image. Images with more than five strong colors has a higher chance of discomforting the viewers. The complementary colors plays big role in color recognition. Our brain needs complementary colors to process the image and without it, it will automatically generate one. The contrast sets the range of colors that we see. People are pleased with the image if it contains all the tone range.
br101ox52x4KQNSNMMTKMLRUMRMN.jpg
This image is less appealing then the bottom image.
61.jpg
Form is necessary for images. Sketches represent basic outlines of the subject. This is possible because sketches show forms. The outline of sketches should be identifiable and interesting for people to recognize the subject. By looking at silhouettes, viewers can tell what the subject is.
2564424078_bec324afc0_o.jpg
These silhouettes would have been boring if they were just standing.

All together, color, form, spatial organization, motion, depth, and human body creates the image in our brain. Few strong colors should be used and complementary colors will make the image look more interesting. Forms should be clear and simple. Organization of objects should be simple however, objects should stay as whole. Motion should be aesthetically appealing. Depth can be expressed with sharpness. With these components, an image will look more interesting to the viewers.

orourkeamber

Post by orourkeamber » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:51 pm

I am always extremely impressed by the type of research being conducted at UCSB. This was the second time that I have had the opportunity to visit the MAT labs and to receive a glimpse into the type of work that is being done. The first station that we visited was a demonstration of a computer program that uses codes to create various types of musical sound and simulate a multitude of different musical techniques. This was created by Charlie Roberts and can be found at http://charlie-roberts.com/gibber/.
In the next room we visited I got to hear a few short presentations on the research that was in progress. Viewing Professor Legrady’s latest works in which he looks the changes over time in the way of life of the James Bay Cree Indian’s really interested me. Though the discussion with him was brief and only scraped the smallest surface of the research, changes such as advances in technology (as shown in the footage of the elders talking to the children, who seem to be too engaged in text messaging to listen) and exposer to American food (which is communicated through the comparison of the body weight of the tribe from 1973- 2012) was clearly expressed through this research. I can only image the many other things that can be discovered about a changing culture through the study of this work.
Lastly, we visited the Allosphere. This was my second visit and was pleased to see that the areas of the sphere were now finished. Though I had visited it before its ability to blow my mind hit me just as hard. Me being someone who tends not to be science mined found myself completely engulfed in fascination as we traveled through one of the researches brains in real time. The fact that this device allows the viewers and researchers better understand what goes on inside us I feel shows unlimited possibilities for medical research and diagnosis.

aleung

Post by aleung » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:42 pm

I am really glad I decided to check out the MAT open house because I was able to see a lot of cool projects. It really opened up my eyes that there are a lot of cool things and research going on at UCSB. The first lab I went to was the Transarchitecture, Interactive Media Lab directed by Marcos Novak. I was late to this lab so I didn’t catch what he was saying before that. When I walked in, I saw a guy with a harmonica and wearing a special type of gloves controlling this flying thing called a drone. He was able to control it with his movements and sounds from the harmonica. To me, it felt like the drone had a mind of its own. Especially when they said that it is able to remember its path with you and fly it again without you controlling it. It seemed like it was really fragile because it looked like part of it was made out of Styrofoam and they tried everything to make it not fall and when it did, they reacted to it the same as if an egg just dropped. But I understand them reacting that way because they spent a lot of time on it and would not want it to break.

The second lab I went to was the Experiemental Visualization Lab directed by Professor Legrady. Three projects were shown and the first was a visualization of the checkouts at a library in Seattle. Data of books, dvds, misc. checked out were collected and made into beautiful shapes and colors, and I believe, a tunnel. The second project was of Professor Legrady’s work with the James Bay Cree Nation in 1973. The lives of the Cree were documented and studied and Professor Legrady along with Andres Burbano returned not too long ago to follow up on their lives and to see what has changed. The third project featured three robots whom were taught to look at things as if they were human eyes. Some were planted on rails to allow them more freedom. They would looked at things, study them, and remember them.

The third lab I went to was the one I was waiting for and super excited to experience. It was the Allosphere directed by JoAnn Kuchera-Morin. I’ve had an IMAX 3D experience but that was nothing compared to the Allosphere. The first thing that was projected was different shapes that seem to be swimming and bobbing around. The colors of the shapes were just so beautiful and the gracefulness of their movement was so calming. And to add to that, the sounds that the shapes made, made it even more peaceful and serene. The temperature in the Allosphere was just right and the darkness made everything more vibrant. We were given 3D glasses and wearing those glasses really made me feel like I was in my own world because it blocked out everything around me and I was only focused on what I saw through those glasses. The second projection we saw were a whole bunch of moving lines and I was mesmerized by that just as how I was mesmerized by the pretty lights of the colorful shapes in the first projection. We were running out of time and weren’t shown many projections but the last one we saw was a projection of a human brain and we journeyed inside it. The Allosphere was an amazing experience and I did not want it to end. I believe I would be able to stay in there and watch all the pretty projections forever. I really like how the Allosphere is a sphere because it makes you feel really engaged with it like it has you wrapped around it. I cannot wait for the next open house of the Allosphere and I really hope there is one before I graduate.

The last lab I visited was the Computer Graphics: Physically-based Simulation lab directed by Theodore Kim. I thought it was really cool that a lot of movies used graphics and techniques that were developed by UCSB. I didn’t know that movements in graphics were rendered with math equations. This was a very informative lab and also a little bit humorous as well, with the armadillo falling.