Proj 3 - Beyond the Rectangular Frame

glegrady

Proj 3 - Beyond the Rectangular Frame

Post by glegrady » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:34 pm

Create a visual assemblage made up of many photographs whose outcome is determined by the form of the subject matter within the image. You image should have complexity through form, good color relationships, The six artist references are:

Hannah Hoch, Data artist creates complex forms from cutout newspapers
Sculptor Gordon Matta-Clark cuts buildings but then creates photographic assemblages where he organizes the photographs guided by the subject matter
Painter David Hockney and artists Gilbert & George who construct through assembling or overlay images so that the images' points of views dont quite line up
John Baldessari creates visual narratives through the assembly of parts of found images
Barry Le Va, a sculptor who constructs sculptures and forms by assembling objects
Project purpose: To get beyond the camera's imposition of the rectangular frame. Instead of creating the composition by framing subject matter, in this project's case, the subject matter determines the organization of the image.

Rule: Create a project that explores the boundaries of order and randomness meet, and meanwhile make a strong aesthetic expression.
George Legrady
legrady@mat.ucsb.edu

kateedwards

Re: Proj 3 - Beyond the Rectangular Frame

Post by kateedwards » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:23 pm

For this assignment I attempted to recreate David Hockney's collage style by manipulating multiple photos I took of one of my roommates. I started with the original image and combined it with shots taken at various angles.

Here's the original:
dana.png
Here's my collage:
1.png
EDIT:
Based on the feedback in class about my first collage, I tried to add more complexity to the image and make the edges less abrupt/rectangular. Here are two variations of my project (the second incorporates the "hard light" blending mode, but I wasn't sure if we were allowed to use those tools as well).
redo.png
hardlight.png
Last edited by kateedwards on Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alfong

Post by alfong » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:43 pm

I tried to recreate a David Hockney's collage by using photos I took of the Golden Gate Bridge.
project3.jpg
project3-1.jpg

Edited after class:
project3-2.jpg
Last edited by alfong on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

hraguse

Post by hraguse » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:18 pm

For this project I created two different photo assemblages using David Hockney as inspiration. Both are dealing with landscapes but I used different approaches. In the first image I focused on the continuation of shapes and colors through the combination of multiple photographs. In the second, I only used one image however cropped it into multiple pieces. I then arranged them in different angles and sizes and used the layer blending tools.

Image 1
spatialmapping1.jpg
Image 2
spatialmapping2.jpg

briandang

Post by briandang » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:25 pm

My project took inspiration from John Baldessari's work. He took different appendages and combined them into a singular image. I used this idea and decided to make my image from various arms. My goal was not that the image made any sense, but to connect these images in a way that was aesthetically pleasing to me.

spacialmapping.jpg
spacialmapping2.jpg

sidrockafello

Post by sidrockafello » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:37 pm

I chose to follow the style of David Hockney and the system of stacking images on one another to form a coherent picture. In my image I took 60 pictures which was then edited to 26. The process for this picture was to dissect a subject and to use that figure to use as a guide to collage with other images.
stacker.jpg
I continue on with the David Hockney method of dissecting a single image into multiple views. The aesthetic that David has, which to me represents one surface being shown from multiple angles, is the idea that I am expanding upon. For this particular image, I thought it would be interesting to photo shoot a small figure with lifelike rendering. For this shoot I am focusing on a certain method by which I am getting a consistent outcome. My method of dissecting this image is focusing on different parts of the outfit that highlight its personality. For a soldier, it would be his firearm, shoes, equipment, facial expression, etc.
Untitled-1.jpg
Last edited by sidrockafello on Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

abbiebroeder

Post by abbiebroeder » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:56 pm

DSCN2069.JPG
vw2.png

giovanni

Post by giovanni » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:08 pm

title:
Physiological needs
hw3b.jpg

nnlaor