PROJ 3: STUDENT DEFINED VISUALIZATION

lliu

Re: PROJ 3: STUDENT DEFINED VISUALIZATION

Post by lliu » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:16 am

The Popularity of The Artist

MAT 259, 2016 Lu Liu

Concept

People use diverse ways to show their favorites.
For example, the popularity of a singer not only could be revealed from music website, but also picture website. I tried to find the connections between these singers and did comparison of the popularity of their arts works in different types social medias(Instagram and Spotify).

Approach
I used the API from Instagram and Spotify.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/developer/endpoints/
Spotify: https://developer.spotify.com/web-api/

Process:

The first idea of first version is the picture moving along with the soundwave of specific song.
sketch_one.jpg
sketch_two.jpg
process_one.png
I found this form(first version) was not enough to present the data itself, so I did some revision.
process_two.jpg
process_two.png

Final Results:

Every circle represents a singer. The line means these two artists have some connections. Clicking the circle, you can see the detail info about this singer. The popularity of his/her/their every album, every track. And the comparion of popularity of each song in Instagram and Spotify.
Press 'b'or'B' to back to main page.
final_one.png
final_two.png
final_three.png
final_four.png

mayelsherif

Re: PROJ 3: STUDENT DEFINED VISUALIZATION

Post by mayelsherif » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:18 pm

Why do people like the SPL?
Visualizing the SPL Yelp reviews

Motivation:
In this project, we try to answer the question of "What do people think of the Seattle Public Library? If we want to explore what do the people think, the first and naive thing that comes to mind is visiting the yelp website and reading the reviews. The more efficient solution is to compress the reviews into one visualization. The visualization will have text from the reviews and images the users took and uploaded themselves.

Steps:
Step 1: Build the database
The first step to tackling this problem was to download the reviews through the Yelp API. Unfortunately, upon checking the Yelp API, I found out that the Yelp API does not provide access to the full review text at this point. At that point, I decided to build my own database. The database consisted of three columns: Review (contains the review text), Images (contains the image names associated with that review), and Image Tags (contains the user-generated labels associated with the images).
Step 2: Extract review tags
The second step was to extract review tags from the review text. Since most of the review texts contained a lot of unimportant and common words, I used manual feature selection to get the most important features of the review. The third step was visualizing the review features and the images uploaded by the users.
Preliminary Results:
This list contains some of the reasons of why people like the SPL. These were obtained after the review tags extraction phase.
  • big children's section
    filled with light
    cool building
    modern engineering marvel
    Designed by famed architect Rem Koolhaas
    built in 2004
    view from the top floor will stop your heart
    final escalator down with it's neon lighting
    terrific little store in the lobby to buy some great souvenirs
    beautiful architecture
    10 floors of just quiet and peaceful people doing work
    people just relaxing
    favorite floor is the third where the "Living Room" is small cafe
    open floor
    SO QUIET
    ton of people
    amazing architecture
    10 floors of pure awesomeness
    10th floor highest view point
    9th floor map room
    really short bathroom stall doors
    worth the stop
    Beautiful library
    plenty of seating
    meetings at the auditorium
    great resources for business and market research
    helpful librarians
    click to chat feature on website
    good customer experience
    Seahawks-themed library cards.
    best library
    crazy fast wi
Step 3: 2D Visualization
The idea in the visualization is positioning the extracted features and the images around the Seattle Space Needle which is an observation tower in Seattle, Washington, a landmark of the Pacific Northwest, and an icon of Seattle. I positioned the title "Why do people like the Seattle Public Library?" in the middle of the visualization as shown in Fig.
process_one.png
. The images were placed above the title. Underneath the title, I positioned the extracted features from the review tags using the library word crammer. The library positions the text and also controls the size of the text by positively correlating it with the number of repetitions in the text corpse. When the visualization process is run, the words start to appear incrementally as seen in the first image in this section. Pressing any number in the range 0-9 will result in changing the images at the top of the visualization so that you can view different images from different users.

Final visualizations
Attached are different views of the visualization.
final_one.png
final_two.png
final_three.png