Proj 4: Final Project I: Concept Definition

davidaleman

Re: Proj 4: Final Project I: Concept Definition

Post by davidaleman » Tue May 24, 2016 1:27 pm

Body Text Wrapping

For this project I am trying to create a body text wrapping project using the skeleton function that the SimpleOpenNi library has.

The first ideas I had were to have text floating around in 3d space surrounding the silhouette of the person in the sights of the kinect. Here are some hand drawn sketches of what I had in mind.
FullSizeRender-2.jpg
FullSizeRender-1.jpg
The text will not be random text the text will be trending topics 2 different news outlets, Twiitter and The New York Times.

The point of the project is to show and visualize the difference in what is trending from a credible news source and what is trending from a social media site.

Now after some thought I decided to use the text to wrap around the body of the user rather than float around it. My progress includes getting the skeleton to work and now I have to start getting the text to wrap around the body like a texture. The text so far will be random words and will later change to trending topics.
IMG_3280.JPG
Attachments
finalProjectPresentation.pdf
(2.17 MiB) Downloaded 247 times

xindi

Acoustic Aura

Post by xindi » Wed May 25, 2016 10:34 pm

It’s astonishing how in the contemporary art world, shapes of everything could produce an artistic image, and sound of any kind could be music. This suggests that we could be living in an art world as long as we can perceive it that way. I personally feel really glad that I’ve been given this gift of perceiving a lot of things in a sensitive and artistic way. And I’ve always been looking for ways to visually express and share these things I perceive. Now that technology has enabled us to work in the third dimension in a dynamic way, unlike painting oil color on canvas or sculpting with plaster, we, as artists, now visualize the true imagination and emotions wavering in the our minds, literally.

This project will open your eyes to the world of music. See yourself in a new world where the fluctuation of your aura with the sound you hear and produce will be virtually visualized. Speaking of aura, it is sort of a paranormal phenomenon that not everyone believes exists.
light2.jpg
Here’s our old friend Wikipedia’s definition for “Aura”:
“In parapsychology and spiritual practice, an aura is a field of subtle, luminous radiation surrounding a person or object like the halo or aureola in religious art. In Buddhism theories, it is believed that all objects and all living things manifest such an aura.”
MeditationAuraLady.jpg
“Attempts to prove the existence of auras scientifically have repeatedly met with failure; for example people are unable to see auras in the dark, and auras have never been successfully used to identify people when their identifying features are otherwise obscured in controlled tests.”

Even though the existence of aura is not scientifically proved, people’s belief was not shaken because of it. The important thing here is not the finding the proof. Instead, especially when we’re crossing the boarder of art and science, the crucial motivation for development in both humanities and technology is imagination. Therefore, visualization in a virtual space becomes a necessary and functional medium.

There are two modes for the visualization:
1. Intrinsic Mode
In this mode a built in music track will play and a “cube cloud” model of the person/people in range will be detected and their shapes, meaning the height, width and depth of the cubes, and colors will change in response to the music. Each value of the wave analysis will be a different changing factor of each body part. And each part of the body will respond to the sound differently (Body parts are identified using skeleton data)

2. Input Mode
In this mode the person/ people in range will use either a microphone or some other acoustic sound input to produce sound that changes the 3D “cube cloud” of his or her/ their own image.