1 MySQL Assignment | Knowledge Discovery

rluo

1 MySQL Assignment | Knowledge Discovery

Post by rluo » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:17 pm

Assignment due: Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Information retrieval is the science of searching for information in a document, and also searching for metadata that describes data, and for databases of texts, images or sounds. (From Wikipedia)

The MySQL assignment focuses on content retrieval, bringing together “knowledge discovery” with cultural studies, sociological, historical or statistical interests.

ASSIGNMENT: Give an overview/history of a title, or a set of titles and its related works as it has performed in the SPL database, for instance, a movie may also have a best seller book associated with it. Review the history of each metadata for a title by taking a look:
. at its checkout and check in performance history.
. acquisition history.
. changes in bibnumber (due to new editions of an item).
. Possibly correlate with external data

Existing student project examples:

http://vislab.mat.ucsb.edu/2016/p2/Junx ... index.html shows relations of a series
http://vislab.mat.ucsb.edu/2016/p2/Lu_Liu/index.html Film adaption of best seller books
http://vislab.mat.ucsb.edu/2017/p2/Jare ... index.html shows replacement patterns

--

Case Study: the movie Blade Runner

Original release in theaters, first version (1982)
New DVD release, December 2017

What are the different cuts: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083658/faq ... _2#.2.1.63

At spl.org, type in “Blade Runner”
. Select movies on DVD: DVD, 2007, and DVD 2010 (both the same call number “DVD Blade R”

. By going to “full record” shows 2 different ISBN numbers meaning that they could have different bibnumbers

. Also shows that the movie is an adaption of the book “Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, Philip L. Dick: https://seattle.bibliocommons.com/item/ ... ade_runner

. There are multiple copies of the book and also graphic novel copies.

--

Go to MySQL and retrieve info about “Blade Runner” and then possibly follow by doing the same for “Do Androids Dream…” in both the novel and the graphic novel.

. Gather info based on the Metadata in the MySQL database: https://www.mat.ucsb.edu/~g.legrady/aca ... ataDef.pdf

. Retrieve how many copies have been purchased according to the ItemNumber as each item in the collection gets a unique itemNumber. Compare to see if this correlates with the barcode as each object in the database has its unique barcode.

. Retrieve when the item was purchased through the first checkout (cout)

. Show how long each item was circulating through the checked-out and checked-in

. Show when new versions of the item have been introduced through the bibnumber changes, and if there have been overlaps between various bibnumbers.

. Do a report on your research, and propose what to visualize based on time, or volume of activity. Possibly make a comparison between book(s) and movie(s) and soundtracks (cd).

. The visualization is the next assignment.

chantelchan

Re: 1 MySQL Assignment | Knowledge Discovery

Post by chantelchan » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:31 pm

I did my research on the popularity of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory book (1964) and film (2005) as well as the original movie Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971) to see if one is more popular than the other. In addition, I looked into the audiobooks of the book to see if there are any trends in that follow the book. By doing so, I hope these findings show any significance about the mediums and even the library itself.
Attachments
mySQL Assignment 1.pdf
(414.14 KiB) Downloaded 227 times
Last edited by chantelchan on Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

qiaodong

Post by qiaodong » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:59 am

I'm interested in sci-fi movies. So I did a survey on four sci-fi movies around 2013. The detailed report is attached.
Attachments
Qiaodong_hw1.pdf
(266.96 KiB) Downloaded 216 times

admjahnke

Post by admjahnke » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:20 pm

This report seeks to find corollaries between the popularity of the soundtrack for the film Inherent Vice vs. the popularity of film Inherent Vice, 2014 and Novel Inherent Vice, 2009.
Attachments
AdamJahnke_ MAT_259_Assign 1.pdf
(211.72 KiB) Downloaded 191 times

chengyuan

Post by chengyuan » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:26 am

I'm curious to see how politics influence people on their reading materials. Trump's campaign started in June 2015 and since then he has been a frequent visitor of media headlines. I assume that a correlation between major milestones during his campaign and the checked-in/out records of his books in the Seattle Public Library. Please find the full report attached.
Attachments
Chengyuan_mat259_hw1.pdf
(845.13 KiB) Downloaded 196 times

yankong

Post by yankong » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:52 am

I'm a big fan of Quentin Tarantino and I really like one of his movies: Kill Bill: Volume 1. This movie is pretty old, which was released in 2003. Since Quentin was nominated Academy Awards in both 2010 and 2013, it will be fun to inspect the correlation between the public's interest in his old movie and his Oscar moments.
Attachments
yankong_mat259_hw1.pdf
(120.5 KiB) Downloaded 198 times

zhangweidilydia

Post by zhangweidilydia » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:12 pm

This report compares the check out counts of two soul albums with two indie rock albums, which are ‘back to black’, ‘19’, ‘vampire weekend’ and ‘fleet foxes’ respectively. Examining the patterns of changes of those four albums from 2008 - 2016 brings up analysis of correlation between soul album and indie rock, and push and pull between culture events and album checkout numbers.
Attachments
MAT259_Assignment_1_Weidi.pdf
(565.85 KiB) Downloaded 213 times

aprilcai

Post by aprilcai » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:34 pm

When you are reading a book, would you like to picture it in movies? And when you are watching a movie that adapted from a book, would you like to read the book? Curiosity drives people to explore and compare the book and its movie. To some extent, a book and its movie make a great pair together. The book always have a detailed story and well rounded portrayal of characters. The movie is more visually appealing and offers a multidimensional take on the original work.

The subject of this report explored is the movie series The Hunger Games, which adapted from
American novelist Suzanne Collins’s novel. As the books were all well received and rated top
sellers, I am interested in the relationship between the movies series and the original novels.
Attachments
April_Mat259_assigment1.pdf
(777.31 KiB) Downloaded 191 times
Last edited by aprilcai on Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

christinalast

Post by christinalast » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:54 pm

In the age of the internet, it may seem paperback books are as useful as flip phones. As
dozens of travel websites and apps vie for your business, it is surprising that the travel guide still
exists as a useful medium to put together a seamless holiday itinerary. I decided to investigate just
how useful travel guides are to the users of Seattle Public Library. This report serves as an example
to demonstrate how to explore the usage of the Lonely Planet guide books in the Seattle Public
Library(SPL) database.
Attachments
LASTCHRISTINA_Excersise1.pdf
(816.46 KiB) Downloaded 280 times

bensonli

Post by bensonli » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:52 pm

I did my assigment on the Pirates of the Caribbean movie series. I was am interested in visualizing the number of checkouts for the Pirate of the Caribbean movies to see how they fluctuate when a new movie in the series is released.
Attachments
MAT259_hw1.pdf
(326.72 KiB) Downloaded 124 times