Robotic Art Research Presentation

rluo

Robotic Art Research Presentation

Post by rluo » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:27 pm

Present an art project relating to robotics, which could be physical, virtual, or conceptual.

The presentation is 5 min for each person and should include 1) the overview of the project, and 2) why you choose the project - how it relates to robotics (physically, conceptually, etc.).

Please post a one-paragraph description and a link to the project under this post.

yurim_lee

Re: Robotic Art Research Presentation

Post by yurim_lee » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:34 pm

From furnitures to model-buildings, we 3d print a lot of things. And one of the industries that actively uses 3d printing is the movie industry. As the Legacy Studio has said “3d printing is revolutionizing special effects,” people have used 3d printing to make the Ironman suit, variety of aliens from the movie Alien and many more. In my presentation, we will look at how currently 3d printing is used to bring special effects to life and how it could be used in the future. More specifically, we will talk about how we could maybe bring special effects regarding liquid and gas to real life using these 3d printing robots. I am interested in 3d modeling water and movies so I thought 3d printing special effects would be interesting.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/ ... lide=id.p3

chantelchan

3D Printed Zoetrope

Post by chantelchan » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:06 am

Overview of the Project:
The golden ratio is a mathematical phenomenon that is used to show the beautiful nature of things in the world. Many instances of the golden ratio can be easily found in nature, like appendages of a pinecone. Taking this golden ratio, John Edmark, created a 3D printed zoetrope that modeled the golden ratio, and made it “move” by creating a stop motion video. By doing so, he created an illusion that made it seem like appendages were continually growing, or shrinking. In addition to making them grow, he could make them look as if they were cascading down by adjusting the appendage into a different position.

Why I Chose It:
Moving animations can be traced back to flip books where we can easily see each scene frame by frame. Now that we added another dimension to it, it becomes more complex yet intriguing to study. To make sure that the 3D printed object will create an illusion of being animated, calculations of how the appendages are placed and how the strobe light flashes is heavily taken into consideration. This exemplifies how math and art can go hand in hand, and breaks down the creation of how the object was made. As new technologies are emerging, we explore unique ways to create a different subset of artworks through peculiar methods.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nom7NiTLrFg

chloehopen

Post by chloehopen » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:47 pm

My project investigates the making of Intel's Shooting Star Drones, featured during light shows across the world such as at the 2018 Winter Olympics in PyeongChang and during Coachella Music and Arts Festival last weekend. I was able to see them live in person at Coachella. These lightweight drones are equipt with just one LED light each but can create millions of color combinations. They are programmed in large quantity (hundreds to over a thousand) by one master computer to be arranged into interesting shapes and images in the sky at night. They are considered to be a modern fireworks show and can be animated to create whatever the designer chooses in a matter of minutes. The link for more information is below.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/ ... sp=sharing
Last edited by chloehopen on Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

christinalast

Post by christinalast » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:29 pm

'Homage to New York' from Kinetic to Robotic Art

Overview of the Project
This presentation explores robotic art in the context of historic 20th century Kinetic art. Beyond the robot technologies, we might find the characteristics of robotic art and kinetic art; what differentiates them from precedent art forms, using the example of Homage to New York by Jean Tinguely. I will argue that Tinguely’s seminal work in early Kinetic art constructed a bridge between kinetic and robotic art, distinctly their form of ‘digitised behaviours’.

The presentation will go on to discuss the overlapping characteristics of kinetic and robotic art, and the distinct differences. However, I will argue that perhaps through consideration of the new types of behaviours exhibited by Homage to New York, we can consider whether some versions of kinetic art cross the bridge and become robots themselves.
Homage_to_New_York.gif
Research Motivations
My motivations as a researcher are to expose the interplay between kinetic art from machines, digital art from robots. I am also interested in how behaviours, characteristics and 'consciousness' can be expressed through kinetic and robotic art.

In spite of the ambitious argument that outlines a territory for robotic art, there are overlapped characteristics that still remain between robotic art and kinetic art. All things considered for the works from Tinguely, the artistic design of machinery could be a strategy not only inventing new behaviors of machines, but also crossing over the bridge between kinetic and robotic art.
Attachments
CHRISTINA_LAST_Jean_tinguely.pdf
(500.88 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
Cover.png

diaz.janet76

Post by diaz.janet76 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:04 pm

Overview:
Please Smile is an exhibit about the relationship between robotics and people based on computer vision. The work consists of five robotic skeleton arms, each with four motors and its own power supply, one camera, one computer and one micro controller. The hands have a different reaction depending on what the interaction with the viewer is. This piece is an example of what computer vision and engineering combined with artistic concepts can accomplish in terms of successful human communication with machines and the understanding each can get from the other.

Why I chose it:
I am really interested in interactive installations, and I was drawn to Please Smile because it explores the concept of social interaction with robotics in the artistic realm. The work also appealed to me because it provides us with even a small glimpse of what humans and robots understand and learn from each other.

https://youtu.be/C2-QiQzp67Q

ariellalgilmore

Post by ariellalgilmore » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:05 pm

Petting Zoo FRAC Centre is project created by Minimaforms. The project created life like robotic pets that use artificial intelligence, so that they can develop behaviors through different types of user interaction. The more user interact with each pet they develop certain characteristics. Increase of activity causes the “arms” to increase movement and create a more personal touch towards the user. Because each pet can “express ‘states of mind,’” they can then even possibly recognize previous users. The pets are aware of users through camera tracking and data scanning, which the information being sent in real time. Without users though, the pets simulate being bored.

http://minimaforms.com/#item=petting-zoo-frac-2

robert.gnzalez

Re: Robotic Art Research Presentation / Autonomous Aerial Ro

Post by robert.gnzalez » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:39 pm

Drones and their potential applications have come into publics eyes in recent years and the technology behind their sucess has begun to increase dramatically. Kumar Lab at Penn Engineering has been working on developing Autonomous Airplane Robots that not only have dynamic flying capabilities but more importantly have the capability to autonomously navigate in complex, three dimensional environments with or without GPS with applications to search and rescue, first respond, and precision farming. These quadrotor robots have onboard sensors and processors customized for state estimation, control and planning. Their size varies from 20 mg to 2 kgs.

My personal interest in these robots have sparked through a fascination of their agility and practicality that their capability allows. It opens up and extends our abilities to access real time data that could play a critical role in our everyday lives and in the hopes of invigorating our own personal agency. That and their practical applications to our personal lives of having an intelligent sensing robot as our companion who is untethered to the challenges presented by physical geography and landscapes. All and all, the technology is advancing quickly but the possibilities are just waiting to be programed and explored/

knnewman800

AARON by Harold Cohen

Post by knnewman800 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:44 pm

AARON is a drawing robot capable of creating unique artworks based on a provided program. This unique feat by British artist Harold Cohen evolved over decades into an increasingly complex drawing machine. It began in the 1970s as a simple "turtle" that was capable of drawing in black and white across large canvases using simple feedback mechanisms to create lines and shapes. Eventually, by the 1990s, AARON was able to create large, unique pieces of faces, people, and objects that resembled Cohen's own work in color. Cohen collaborated with AARON on a variety of projects and exhibitions around the world throughout his lifetime to create a drawing machine that came up with its own images like a free-thinking individual, but operated within the parameters of Cohen's coding.

I chose this project to present because it perfectly marries art and robotics in an innovative question of artificial intelligence as a mode of creativity. I have always been fascinated by artificial intelligence and the relationship between machines and life. I believe that this project points out interesting questions about what it means to be innovative and human and about how mechanical creativity is different from human creativity. AARON, unlike humans, is able to imagine new colors that it has never seen before and operate without a visual system. It pushes the boundaries of the field of robotics and forces the audience to question the nature of the machine and what it means to be intelligent and creative. While AARON has a distinct code that allows it to produce original artwork, it must abide by the code that Cohen provides. AARON also acts as Cohen's "collaborator" and walks the line of machine and artist in a fascinating, blurry way.

Presentation: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/ ... sp=sharing

wilsonmui

Footfalls - Golan Levin & Zachary Lieberman

Post by wilsonmui » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:08 pm

Footfalls is an interactive art project using image projection and audio. 'Balls' are projected on a wall. They can fall and make clattering noises. Visitors can interact by stomping. Microphones on the floor detect the sound of stomping. This affects the size and amount of balls that fall. Visitors can directly interact with the balls as well by holding them.

http://flong.com/projects/footfalls/
https://vimeo.com/227566535